BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
@UrbanMamaHen I know, it was a great hatch for shipped eggs. I got them from Orchard Hill poultry, if I remember correctly, in Georgia. I had thought I had an awesome hatch, because I thought I had 1 cockerel and 6 pullets. But I have discovered that the cockerels seem to develop at different times. I had the 1 obvious cockerel. then about a month later, the other 2 popped up, and now I believe the splash in the picture is also a slow developing roo.

Thanks, I got shipped eggs a year or so ago from a reputable breeder, but out of two sets of eggs, only one hatched. I concluded that shipped Isbar eggs don't hatch well. But I think the eggs I got were from the 1st line, and not as hardy as the second line. I loved the coloring of the black roo I hatched, but gave him away after experimenting crossing him with my cream legbar hen for sex-linked chicks. I got one black sex-linked hen from the cross, and just love her. She has beautiful large dark eyes, and black feathers with coral/red and iridescent green highlights. She started laying large green eggs at about six months, and outlay all my other hens including the cream legbar hens. I get six to seven eggs from her each week - she rarely takes a break from laying.

Because of this hen, I want to get some Isbars again, and perphaps to create some more sex-linked chicks. I think some are calling them (blue) ice cream bars.

I think you are right about the splash being a roo. I can see the more prominent red comb also. Both are very pretty.

Thanks, I got shipped eggs a year or so ago from a reputable breeder, but out of two sets of eggs, only one hatched. I concluded that shipped Isbar eggs don't hatch well. But I think the eggs I got were from the 1st line, and not as hardy as the second line. I loved the coloring of the black roo I hatched, but gave him away after experimenting crossing him with my cream legbar hen for sex-linked chicks. I got one black sex-linked hen from the cross, and just love her. She has beautiful large dark eyes, and black feathers with coral/red and iridescent green highlights. She started laying large green eggs at about six months, and outlay all my other hens including the cream legbar hens. I get six to seven eggs from her each week - she rarely takes a break from laying.

Because of this hen, I want to get some Isbars again, and perphaps to create some more sex-linked chicks. I think some are calling them (blue) ice cream bars.

I think you are right about the splash being a roo. I can see the more prominent red comb also. Both are very pretty.

I have hatched ALOT of shipped eggs. Sometimes your lucky and sometimes your not. I have found, I cannot order eggs from California, O hatch rate. So I pay attention when auctions come up, or what breeder is not to far.

Here is a picture of his brother that I sold about 3-4 weeks ago, obviously a cockerel from young age. I would think that the splash would have developed along with his brother. But like I said, its my first time with Isbars so I am learning. And by the way, I think it might have been ChicKat that started calling them IceCream Bars back on the CCL page. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thanks @ChicKat , just starting with them. I have done some research, and have read that people prefer the first line of Isbars over the second. But I have also read of all the immune problems with the 1st line. Perhaps, somewhere down the line, I can add some of the 1st line into my breeding for those darker eyes people are talking about. But for now, I am happy to add a green egg layer to my basket.
Yes, Know just what you mean, I only have 1 of the first line Isbar left. Predators got two females that I got in that Quad and the male went to another person who nolonger has him. I thought he would be too closely related to breed to the females I got with him. A friend of mine has splash from the first import but doesn't breed.

I wonder if there would be some way -- a track could be kept of people who have the originals that are healthy -- so together those of us who value that look could all work to keep the dark eye characteristic in Isbars?

This chick has the dark eyes, I think it is a pullet hatched 2/14. the mother an original, the father -- from Omega Hills Farms has dark brown eyes -- not the ones that look black.

I had a friend who had first gen GF Isbars and she was very proud of this one. When ever people want to talk Isbar roos, I give them a peek at him.
That guy is so gorgeous! one of the chicks that I hatched 2/14 (I only got 2 Isbars and 2 legbars from that hatch) -- acted like a little general right from a few days old and I thought male.... he is striking a pose here:

I had hoped he would grow up to look like the male in your picture -- but sadly was dead in the brooder at 1-week old. No trauma, no signs of struggle or suffering.

I am so sorry!

This is his nephew "Boss Jr."

Below is his granddaughter, Sparkle.

They are mixes. Look at grandaughter's dark eyes...

Last edited:

I have to tell you my Isbars are outlaying anything in my flock right now. By far! Beautiful green eggs...some speckled. I really have a fondness for them! They are little powerhouses of eggs!

Okay- I need to set up my breeding pens for my Isbars and I need some help in figuring out who to mate:

I would like a whole flock of blues and splash if possible.

Am I looking at this correctly?
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

So, right now I have:

GFF second generation blue rooster & blue hen
GFF second generation 2 black roosters (One silver hackled and one gold hackled)
GFF second generation 3 black hens
KYTinpusher 2 black hens (I believe these were from your split 1/2 pen)

I have some that were bred to a different blue rooster and my blue hen:
From this mating I have two splash hens, two blue hens and two black hens.

Any suggestions are welcome here... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom