Blue laced red wyandotte growth!!

How did the early feather growth compare to what you see now? The ones that were slower to grow feathers still lend themselves to Roo's?

How did the early feather growth compare to what you see now? The ones that were slower to grow feathers still lend themselves to Roo's?

Chick two was the slowest to feather. All the others were about the same. One three and four all had tails and high feather development fast however three HAS to be a roo, and maybe even four.... One has a big comb too so I'm really not sure. Chick three the slowest, has the smallest wattles and not much of a comb.. But they are red. It's so confusing... But early tails/feathers for me is not a sign of pullets this round. I will say my POSSIBLE pullets have more feather growth on their heads right now, that's one and four.

I am hoping it is ok if I post a few chicks here. This is my first time with Wyandottes, and I am surprised by how slow they are feathering out compared to my other birds. In particular I have one chick who is tiny and very, very slow to give up the down! Eats well, active, but just small and slow growing. Wondering if this is a normal variance, or if there might be something wrong with this little one. I also think I only have one blue-laced, and that I am getting three with black. They are 4 weeks old in these pics.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4 (the slow one)

I am hoping it is ok if I post a few chicks here. This is my first time with Wyandottes, and I am surprised by how slow they are feathering out compared to my other birds. In particular I have one chick who is tiny and very, very slow to give up the down! Eats well, active, but just small and slow growing. Wondering if this is a normal variance, or if there might be something wrong with this little one. I also think I only have one blue-laced, and that I am getting three with black. They are 4 weeks old in these pics. Chick 1 Chick 2 Chick 3 Chick 4 (the slow one)
The more chicks the better! I will say if mine had feathered in that slow I'd be more easily convinced of their roodom.... Rooishness.. Etc lol. If it wasn't for wattles is say mine were girls and yours boys. Due to tails and feathers... So I'm really confused with this color, my golds and silvers were not this confusing. Looking at feathers your chick three looks more girly

Last edited:
I say chick one is a roo, two a pullet, three a roo, four a pullet. Really it is too early to tell, but going by combs and wattles alone, that's what I think. lol

Chick 1 3 weeks 5 days

Chick 3 3 weeks 5 days. This was a sticky chick. Slow feathering and growth but finally catching up in size. Still has alot fewer feathers.

Back
Top Bottom