Blue Laced Red Wyandottes X Gold Laced Wyandottes

Thomas Morgan

Hatching
Feb 24, 2016
I want to breed both BLRW's and the GLW's
I want to raise the BLRW's and the GLW's. Will breeding them together mess up the coloring?
your will they need to be separated

welcome-byc.gif

I haven't raised Wyandottes yet but my guess is if you mix the different colored Wyandottes, the offspring would most likely not be colored the same as the parents. If you want the offspring to maintain the same colors, you'd have to keep them separate. Maybe another greeter with breeding experience will jump in here and clarify.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid I too have not raised Wyandottes and colour genetics are really not my strong point at a the best of times! There are many Wyandotte threads and I'm sure if you type that into the search box above they will come up.

Wishing you the very best of luck in your search for answers. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

I would think breeding the two colors together could cause a lot of mismarked birds that wouldn't fit the standard of perfection. But if you just want to play around for your own flock, that's up to you.

It's my understanding that breeding BLRW to GLW will produce some gold laced and some blue laced golds. You will lose a lot of the "red" that makes the BLRW so distinctive. And that deep red coloring is very difficult to get back once you lose it.

Back
Top Bottom