Raising Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

Crazy For Chicks

Songster
6 Years
May 29, 2017
Quick question about Blue Laced Red Wyandottes..... I want to raise this specific color and I know I will need to cross a Black and a Splash to achieve 100% Blue offspring. Does that mean I'll need a black laced roo and splash hens or does it matter which is which?

bbs-chart.jpg I don't think it matters what parent is what.

Quick question about Blue Laced Red Wyandottes..... I want to raise this specific color and I know I will need to cross a Black and a Splash to achieve 100% Blue offspring. Does that mean I'll need a black laced roo and splash hens or does it matter which is which?
It does not matter which parent is black and which is splash. You could even set up one flock each way, depending on how many you have of each color.

It does matter that the "black" is a Black Laced Red and the "splash" is a Splash Laced Red (not solid black, not splash all over.) This is probably obvious to you, but I'm stating it just to be sure.

Is it important to you to get 100% blue offspring? Because otherwise you can breed blue to blue, or blue or black, or blue to splash. Each of those will give 50% blue offspring, along with various numbers of black and splash.

You could have a flock with a blue rooster, and hens of all three colors, and you would get 50% blue chicks from all possible combinations.

It does not matter which parent is black and which is splash. You could even set up one flock each way, depending on how many you have of each color.

It does matter that the "black" is a Black Laced Red and the "splash" is a Splash Laced Red (not solid black, not splash all over.) This is probably obvious to you, but I'm stating it just to be sure.

Is it important to you to get 100% blue offspring? Because otherwise you can breed blue to blue, or blue or black, or blue to splash. Each of those will give 50% blue offspring, along with various numbers of black and splash.

You could have a flock with a blue rooster, and hens of all three colors, and you would get 50% blue chicks from all possible combinations.
Thank you!! I just really love the Blue laced Reds and would like to concentrate on that color. I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom