Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lual,

You cracked me up ! I HAVE described my girls as the Rubens' girls of the poultry world before.I'll add those names to the list for sure. I already have Dolly, Marilyn, Sofia, and Gina.

Thanks everybody for the names !
Here are a couple more buxom lady names from my home state of West Virginia--Blaze Starr and Dagmar. You have to be old to remember those names though.

Happy Day!
March's daughter, (hatched Feb. 23rd) started laying 2 days ago! 6 1/2 months old.
I think that s a bit ahead of schedule for the breed? I have read discussion of 7 months
for POL for Sussex. Yeah, now we have more eggs! They are larger than March's and
a bit rocket shaped, a bit lighter. I am sure the shape and color will correct themselves as
her egg system gets more practiced and tuned up.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:

Here is a R I Red male with no excess smut or black in his under color. Based on what I have read, seen and experienced smut or slate is just misplaced excess black or beetle green that should be in the tail, wing, or the female neck section of the female or what is called ticking. Based on Charlie Naugles article from the 1950s the reds have yellow, black, red and blue in their color make up. If there is no room for the black to go to the tail or wing or neck feathers they extra black will go to the neck or back or saddle area of under color. Now on young ckls before they are 7 months old they may have it but if you kill them at age four or five months old you may be fooled and when you come back they will not have any. It is absorbed into the normal adult feathers. Many rookies will kill a red to early because of this. Also, he can be used as a feeder breeder to darken the color say on females that may have weak red wing color or light in over all surface or under color. Example. Mate this male to a female or two then mate the best typed and darkest ckl back to the hens the next year. In breed them three years in a row the over all off spring will be darker and he smut and slate will be absorbed and you will not see it. Also, mate the darkest pullets his daughters back to him for three years in a row. You may end up on the third year with a dark dark male or female that will win at a show and no smut or slate to be seen.

Now what do most people do kill these birds even ones with a little pepper in the secondary's or primaries then over five years their whole flock loses the dark dark red the black quill color and they have reds tht will not win in hard completion like the male above. This has been going on in red strains for 50 years. Some times you have to feed a little in every five years to keep from loosing it.

I think the secret in Reds and in this issue is ticking in the female hackle no black or smut in the male hackle then the yellow will direct the black or beetle green to the right places. All this genetic signs is neat. We breeders don't understand a word they talk about and in Buckeyes I have no clue how this happens other than their is R I Reds in the make up of your breed. If their is ticking in the female hackle and you have lots of stripes or lacing this could be the cause. I don't know if you have that in your standard or not. I have never read it.

Hope this helps on the black or smut or slate issue from a Red guy.

Look at my avatar and look at this males top line. If you draw a arrow he is correct R I Red brick shape and this guy if he is who I think he is has the best width of back I have seen in ten years. Its like a two by eight back their to the tail.

Would it be nice if we could have R I Red Bantams to look like this guy and be in the Poultry Press some day. I can only dream and wish.

O Steve by the way I have a new R I Red Bantam Clk I saw today that looks like this guy he is only four months old and I think he will be two oz under weight by Dec at the Pensacola show and in Feb at Newnan Georgia. I hope I have a chance to win at Newnan best Red I am going to offer $50 for best Flat back R I Red Bantam and a nice glass jar of Red Landscape rocks for the best Red Rock bantams.

Ran out of Valium sorry. bob

Now on young ckls before they are 7 months old they may have it but if you kill them at age four or five months old you may be fooled and when you come back they will not have any. It is absorbed into the normal adult feathers. Many rookies will kill a red to early because of this. Also, he can be used as a feeder breeder to darken the color say on females that may have weak red wing color or light in over all surface or under color. Example. Mate this male to a female or two then mate the best typed and darkest ckl back to the hens the next year. In breed them three years in a row the over all off spring will be darker and he smut and slate will be absorbed and you will not see it. Also, mate the darkest pullets his daughters back to him for three years in a row. You may end up on the third year with a dark dark male or female that will win at a show and no smut or slate to be seen.

Now what do most people do kill these birds even ones with a little pepper in the secondary's or primaries then over five years their whole flock loses the dark dark red the black quill color and they have reds tht will not win in hard completion like the male above. This has been going on in red strains for 50 years. Some times you have to feed a little in every five years to keep from loosing it.

This.

I think the secret in Reds and in this issue is ticking in the female hackle no black or smut in the male hackle then the yellow will direct the black or beetle green to the right places. All this genetic signs is neat. We breeders don't understand a word they talk about and in Buckeyes I have no clue how this happens other than their is R I Reds in the make up of your breed. If their is ticking in the female hackle and you have lots of stripes or lacing this could be the cause. I don't know if you have that in your standard or not. I have never read it.

Actually, pure Buckeyes should have no RIR blood in them at all. RIRs were not used to make Buckeyes by the creator, Nettie Metcalf.

Certainly, folks may have added RIR blood (and all sorts of other stuff) sometime down the line. But pure ones should not have it.

Nope, the history is actually pretty interesting. Ms. Metcalf developed her Buckeye around the same time, and RIR's hadn't made it that far West ( Ohio)... She did look into getting them named as a RC RIR in the Standard of the time, but that didn't work out. That's the very very short version :) Someone oughta make a movie! Like that one about Crick who helped steal the discovery of the double helix for DNA. Is Goldblum still making movies?
:)

Interesting Pathfinders..I honestly thought they were created from RIR..
Nope. Nettie used Barred Rocks, Buff Cochins, and BBRed Games (which she later determined also contained "Indian Game" blood, now known as Cornish), and while she did put some of her resulting Single Combed Buckeyes in with a pen of her RIRs, she didn't go in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom