Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best toe punch I have used I ordered from this site. Best money I've spent in a while.
Can't remember who recommended it before, but it was worth checking out.
http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8
Look under toe punches and see the one that works like a clipper.
http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies...._page=product_info&cPath=8_25&products_id=920
I was all over this site yesterday I like his products.
Great find thank you. Should make some nice cuts as it has leverage over the old style type.
Thank you. will order one on my wing band order.

I'm still dithering on my permanent ID choice.
Jiffy vs. Zip brand wing bands, and their respective punches?
Do either of them come in colors? Love the 'queen bee' yearly color scheme. Could tell at a glance how old a bird was w/out having to zip tie also.
Am working out my incubator kinks. How do you not watch the pot?? I've got 6 poofy polish in there I'm rooting for not to hatch... LOL. I asked for something "not important" to me, and the Good Lord did provide! His sense of humor means, they will all hatch. And be cockerels. And be too small to eat.
:)

I'm still dithering on my permanent ID choice. 

Am working out my incubator kinks. How do you not watch the pot?? I've got 6 poofy polish in there I'm rooting for not to hatch... LOL. I asked for something "not important" to me, and the Good Lord did provide! His sense of humor means, they will all hatch. And be cockerels. And be too small to eat.
:)

I toe punch, then follow up with a colored spiral on the right leg for the year and a color ed spiral on the left leg based on the sire pen.
I'm contemplating going to a numbered color band system. The chicks may be small but will make great broth and dumplings.

You are welcome Bob. I bought a few extra for gifts for a few breeder friends.

Last edited:
I toe punch but I have to go back like four times before I get them to keep the hole, or it will punch the hole and leave a flap of skin that has to be taken off. Does anyone else have problems with this any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Sam

FWIW, I have never seen feather mites on my birds, and since I am not far from you, wonder that you've heard people have them. Are you sure they're not confusing them with Northern Fowl Mites, which we do have in abundance here?
A lot of friends with birds they keep for enjoyment have bad feather mite problems. I personally have never seen northern fowl mites. But I have also been out of poultry for a few years so they may be here and I just haven't noticed on my birds yet.

But its pretty noticeable when you go over to someone's house and 2 or 3 of their hens have bare backs, and not a single Cock on the premises.

It may be a Dry Ridge thing I'm not sure. Something in the water perhaps : /

A lot of friends with birds they keep for enjoyment have bad feather mite problems. I personally have never seen northern fowl mites. But I have also been out of poultry for a few years so they may be here and I just haven't noticed on my birds yet.

But its pretty noticeable when you go over to someone's house and 2 or 3 of their hens have bare backs, and not a single Cock on the premises.

It may be a Dry Ridge thing I'm not sure. Something in the water perhaps : /

What about Frontline Spray?

http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....ain_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=435

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom