Bob Blosl's Heritage Large Fowl Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know what the wait time is after using it (to eat eggs or meat) is? Any known effect on chicks/hatch?

I can't tell you what to do but I will tell you what we do. We wait 2 weeks after spraying them to eat the eggs and I can't speak for meat as we don't eat them.
I have seen no effects as far as chicks or hatching and I have and will spray them anytime I notice mites even if it is the middle of hatching season.

Last edited:
Do you know what the wait time is after using it (to eat eggs or meat) is? Any known effect on chicks/hatch?

I can't tell you what to do but I will tell you what we do. We wait 2 weeks after spraying them to eat the eggs and I can't speak for meat as we don't eat them.
I have seen no effects as far as chicks or hatching and I have and will spray them anytime I notice mites even if it is the middle of hatching season.

I looked into frontline last year. The active ingredient did not get into the eggs but did get into the meat. The recommendation was to not eat the meat for two weeks but that the eggs were ok.

Thanks for the toe punch link and photo Bob and Nanakat!

That looks a lot nicer than the one I have. Maybe it works better as well.

That little flap of skin keeps re-attaching!
he.gif

Thanks for the toe punch link and photo Bob and Nanakat!

That looks a lot nicer than the one I have. Maybe it works better as well.

That little flap of skin keeps re-attaching!
he.gif

I have that toe punch. I have the same problem with the little flap of skin, if I can get it with my fingernails and get it off when I punch then I do. If I can't then in about a week I check all of them; sometimes they have stuff stuck in the hole which I pick out. If I notice the skin is growing back I repunch. That usually does the trick and doesn't take long to do.

I have that toe punch. I have the same problem with the little flap of skin, if I can get it with my fingernails and get it off when I punch then I do. If I can't then in about a week I check all of them; sometimes they have stuff stuck in the hole which I pick out. If I notice the skin is growing back I repunch. That usually does the trick and doesn't take long to do.
This is the same thing I do.Take your thumb nail while the punch is still in and scratch the little flap off,but you will still have to check them one more time at about two weeks old.

Thank you for the picture and link for the clipper style toe punch.

Now, I've seen the charts and I'm probably more than a little dense, but could someone please explain how to organize this chart? For instance, punching between these toes means this; and punching between those toes means that. I know its totally up to me what each of these punch positions means but those of you who have used this method for years, could you explain how you organize it?

Say, 2013 hatch gets a punch where? Do you also punch for a month? Do you punch for the sire or dam? I want to use toe punching this next hatch season because those plastic bandettes either come off or the number wears off. It's a major pain in the back side. I have a hen who lost her band this past winter or sometime early spring, and now I have no idea who she is!

I would not use it on birds. Permethrin is much safer.

I agree with you 1000%, Vicki!!! Do you remember the times when us, the dog breeders, were hoping and praying for a miracle which would make the fleas, therefore the tapeworm go away? then came Advantage, and Frontline...and others...couple of drops on the dogs or cats; viola! magic! our prayers were answered!

Since then, if anyone talks to a serious dog breeder who has been at it more than 15 yrs., will not touch either of the products; specially on the dogs which one wants to breed from. After prolonged use( which the manufacturer recommends once a month) of these products, many breeders have experienced low to no sperm count, resorption of fetus, and birth defects. I personally ended up in the emergency vet hosp. with 6 mos. old puppies who started to go into paralysis; one of which died.

I am a dog breeder and know number of breeders of both dog and cat, who will not use Advantage or Frontline or similar products. It is a bit of work to keep them free of pests, but, there are many avenues one can take; may be arduous, but they still work. Some of the chemicals used, ties themselves to the cells which becomes almost impossible to get rid off.

I know and am aware that dogs and chickens are different species; but, never the less, we all are warm blooded living beings similar in many ways. Also, the chemicals can be transmitted through consuming the treated animals.

Lual

Last edited:
A lot of friends with birds they keep for enjoyment have bad feather mite problems. I personally have never seen northern fowl mites. But I have also been out of poultry for a few years so they may be here and I just haven't noticed on my birds yet.

But its pretty noticeable when you go over to someone's house and 2 or 3 of their hens have bare backs, and not a single Cock on the premises.

It may be a Dry Ridge thing I'm not sure. Something in the water perhaps : /

It could also be dominant hens mounting submissive hens. I've never noticed Northern Fowl Mites stripping the back of feathers. Usually one starts to see a general shredding of feathers around the neck. Given, at this point I intervene; thus I don't' really know if over time one starts to encounter baldness. Nevertheless, baldness of the back to me seems odd. I would think it one of the areas lest hospitable to parasitic insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom