Bob cat in yard circling Chicken Coop/Run at 7am. Now What Do I Do?

Radio might work for a night or two but not for loong they quickly get used to the noise. I would trap the offender, look into your local laws also, here we are allowed to kill anything harassing or threatening livestock. I have 4 large dogs that keep our girls safe. Good luck.

Quote:
Called a trapping company and they charge $250 to set up a trap, collect and re-locate. Don't think that's the way to go. We need to resolve the issue with the making the coop stronger.

We live in a residential neighborhood so we borrowed a 22 magnum so maybe we'll catch him in the act?

And we are heading to Home Depot right now!

Whoa whoa whoa! Hold on here! You live in a residential neighborhood and your thinking of shooting the cat with a borrowed gun???

First off. I'm all for SSS but go to your local firing range and do some target practice until you hit that target EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. If you don't hit that cat your going to hit someone's house or possibly a car or person!!!

Second, I congratulate you on being willing to do what it takes to keep your birds safe. I would seriously think about investing in two - three strands of electric wire around your coop. I shot a bobcat earlier this year at the TWRA's suggestion. However we have a rock backdrop around the entire property. Safety first always when shooting anything. ALWAYS know what is behind your target. If there is any question of whats behind it then DO NOT SHOOT!!!

Here is a simple trick that works without killing the Bobcat. It has worked for me to get foxes to steer clear. I use ( quite effectivly I may add) a Spyder paintball gun equipped with a 20 inch barrel. I turn the pressure up so I can shoot to my back shed without the balls dropping much. Now I have played paintball for years and can tell you that these suckers really hurt when they hit you. Its non lethal but will for sure get a large cats attention and make him think twice. They are quiet to fire and you can keep it close at hand and loaded without worry. Thsi would work for any predator that I can think of......good luck ! Hope you dont have to kill the bob cat, they are beautiful to watch in the wild when you get a chance to see one.
wink.png

smile.png
The portable Electric Netting Chicken fencing works wonderful~I also use it for Goats. The only problem is if the electric goes off for a long time. Also I have some of mine against a higher 4 board wooden fence~a Racoon climbed the wooden fence & jumped into the chicken run~I then put a couple of wires on the top & other boards on the fence & hooked them
into the electric~no more problems. I love it.
big_smile.png
Source: PREMIER ONE on internet also EBay. Alot of my friends use LGDogs. Good Luck
cool.png

Thanks everyone! We started the hardware cloth installation but the mosquitoes got the best of us last night. Got up at 5:30 this morning for bob cat patrol and never did see it. I have mixed feelings whether that is a good thing or not. We are headed to TSC this afternoon for some electric wiring/fencing and whatever else I might find. Never been to TSC.

LADYINRED, we would never put our neighbors, pets or children in harms way, EVER. We do not live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood, we are nicely spread out. And, I must add, we are both "decent shots"!
smile.png

Quote:
For that price, buy your own trap and use it 24/7 if you like. My idea of relocation involves a shovel.
A short term solution while getting your "fixins" ready would be to each night hang out a fresh sweaty T-Shirt with a radio turned to a talk channel. I've used that in my sweet corn patch to deter coons when the corn was approaching” pickin” time.

Back
Top Bottom