Bobs have popped but are not hatching

Jdunba

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
Hi, still new to all this. I am trying to hatch my first bobs. They all pipped by late day 22. Today at 4pm starts day 24 and no chicks. There is still movement of the eggs. Temps in my incubator (Brinsea Mimi advance) are 99.5, humidity should be good as the reservoir is full, but I don't yet have a hygrometer so I cannot confirm that. Getting one today. I don't want to mess them up but how long should it take? I have seen minutes to three days post pip.

Is there a window on your incubator that you can see in? The window should be pretty foggy and wet.

Pipping happens a 1 to 1 1/2 days before hatching. But yours should be coming out soon. If your humidity is not up near 65% to 70% the chicks will stick to the inside of the egg and die.

If your window is all steamed up, then I would say to just wait this out. If it looks clear, you might get yourself a brand new kitchen sponge and soak it with water. Give a mild squeeze, Or if you have enough room, put this wet sponge in a small cup of water and put either of these inside the incubator. Have a spray bottle handy as you open the incubator and spray everything down really well, eggs and all so that you don't loose too much humidity too fast.

Thanks. The whole arrangement of this incubator is such that I can see in. When I left this am there was som condensation where the top sits on the base of the unit. It has been like that for a few days. Not a lot, but some. Vents are open but I will double check when I get home. Thanks again for the suggestions

I did do the spray bottle but just a bit this am (after reading that. Though I was concerned that I might mess things up. Glad you suggested it). They moved a good bit when I did that though it could be coincidence...

I would just let things be at this point. There isn't much you can do other than monitor the bator and as long as your humidity is up and they are getting good oxygen, all you can do is wait!

Keep us posted! :)

I certainly will keep you posted. As for the humidity, I checked and it is steady at 72%. No change in the size of the pips that were started but the eggs rock, then sit quiet, then rock some more...

Last edited:
Sounds like things are on track. Just sit back and wait. Intervening can end in death for the chicks.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good hatch!!
fl.gif

OMG! I just heard all three peeping. These are the first sounds I have heard. And the eggs are really rocking. I am guessing this means any time now? Sorry to be such a geek...the first hatching is too exciting!

LOL....Hey, this is egg-citing stuff no matter how many times you have done a hatch!!

Yay...PEEPING!! Should be any time now!!!

Back
Top Bottom