Bobwhite egg question

Quailhoo

Hatching
Apr 22, 2024
I have my first batch of Bobwhite eggs in the incubator. I am seeing different information on how long it will take them to hatch. Some sites say around 18 days some say 23-25 days. Can someone tell me what I can expect to happen. Thanks

Howdy, :frow Welcome to BYC!

Bobwhites have an incubation period of 24 days, depending on the temperature of the incubator, it could be 23days if warmer than the normal 99.5°F setting and as long as 25 to 26 days if the setting is lower, say around 95 or 96°F.

I incubate my eggs at 100°F and at 43% humidity for the first 21 to 22 days, when I see the first pip, I'll increase the humidity to 55%, I do not let it go above 60% or issues will arise.

Do you have calibrated, reliable thermometer(s) and a 'salt tested' calibrated hygrometer in your incubator? Never, never, ever 'trust' the incubators readings, they are notorious for having inaccurate readings.
 HTH

Thanks for your help 007 Sean. To be honest, I bought a cheap Chinese incubator. I can't figure out how to adjust the humidity. The owners manual is vague, doesn't cover the unit very well and is pretty much useless.

Thanks for your help 007 Sean. To be honest, I bought a cheap Chinese incubator. I can't figure out how to adjust the humidity. The owners manual is vague, doesn't cover the unit very well and is pretty much useless.
Generally speaking, there will be a reservoir of some kind to add water to increase humidity. It's highly recommended to get one, or more, accurate temperature/humidity sensors to put in the incubator because those on the incubators are frequently just plain wrong.

Back
Top Bottom