Boil...leave or lance?

It could be a sinus infection, perhaps? Ear infection? Can you get some antibiotics into her drinking water?
I think I'd try some antibiotics before cutting. Your feed store will have antibiotic that can be added to water.
@casportpony might be able to recommend an antibiotic that will help your duck.

Here is a picture. I touched it and there is no excessive heat like boils produce and this is very hard and looks grayish.

I feel so horrible for my poor little girl.
sad.png
She is in the pond now taking a few moments for herself, preening and cleaning her feathers.

Could you see any kind of bite?

I agree, that doesn't really look like something I would try to lance. How fast did this appear? It looks like a tumor, but they wouldn't show up so fast. I don't have any experience with ear/sinus infections and inflammation with birds, so I'm of no help I'm afraid. Sorry. :/

That nasty lump went away but left a scab so I am guessing it was a boil. Thank you for the help.

She is still on her nest that should be starting to hatch this week. :) Just have to love muskovies. They are wonderful!

BUT my male muskovy keeps mating with her even while she is on the nest. Why will he not leave her be? This bothers me and
I fear that he will cause some of the eggs to break. Is it normal behavior? Same thing is happening with my Khaki campbells.

Last edited:
Well, glad the strange lump went away and she is ok. :) Hope she hatches you some beautiful babies!

Drakes are liked crazed teenagers during breeding season, they cannot help themselves. Can you put a protective fence around your female while she sits, or somehow block him from getting to her? You really do need to protect those eggs, and then the ducklings once they hatch. Your drake should not be allowed near them until they are adult-sized as drakes have been known to kill ducklings. Some are fine with ducklings, but I always like to err on the side of caution.

All the ducklings are hatched and are 7 days old now. There was one who was dying half way out of his shell and the membrane had dried and he was really cold
and was left in the nest alone so of course I brought him in and misted warm water on him while he was being heated in a home made incubator of sorts. He is a
lovely little thing and doing great except he is half the size of the other ducklings so maybe he is a miniature and of oourse we have a bond he and I.
wink.png

I do have call ducks that laid eggs in the same nest as the muskovy.

I did not remove the ducklings however. They are always with their mom and spend most of their days in the pond which I thought was strange but with all the musquitoes and flies
on the surface, I guess they enjoy being in the water most of the day.

The drake does spend the night in the same cabin now as the muskovy and ducklings. There are no other ducks in that cabin. The first 3 nights I did put papa in a place by himself.
He actually remains with the family all day long staying only a few feet away from the ducklings. He does seem to be a very good papa duck.

The lump has not returned and she seems to be doing very well.
Thank you everyone for all your help on this.

thumbsup.gif

It was an abscess and should be cleaned and drained.
A warm salt water compress twice a day would help if she lets you? Being she is on eggs It might not work..?
I think she is suffering from a good bite from the Drake that got infected.
Do your best. Good luck

Wow, that's great! Thanks for the update! So glad your drake is one of the good daddies. :) And good job helping out that little one! Is it out with the others or are you hand-raising it?

I'd love to see a pic of your new duck family, if you have one. ^-^

Wow, that's great! Thanks for the update! So glad your drake is one of the good daddies.
smile.png
And good job helping out that little one! Is it out with the others or are you hand-raising it?

I'd love to see a pic of your new duck family, if you have one. ^-^
They are doing great. The little ones running everywhere.. poor mom, LOL I did remove the daddy again however and he spends his nights alone in a small pen. He seemed to be frustrated that momma was paying more attention to the babies than to him. He does not bother with the other muscovies I have neither.

sorry about the mess in the back ground.. just got the wood mill out of our place. The ducks are free roaming and come to the back balcony for feed. There is momma with 5 of her babies. Just love muscovies so much. Very silent and gentle birds.

And this is my little guy who is always with me in the house but spends alot of time outside with me also. I just LOVE this picture of him. Does that black circle on his head mean he is a boy or a girl?

I do know he is a muscovy. Not a call duck. He is now the same size as the others but I have tried repeatedly to get him to go with the others but he just turns around and follows me. I had this happen last year and loved each moment I had with that baby and now I love each moment with this one. I named him Manu.

Last edited:
Aww, what a little cutie!! Yeah, sounds like he's imprinted on you for sure. ;) Markings/colors on ducklings almost never tell you their sex, only in a couple breeds. The only way to tell is by vent-sexing (which should be done by someone experienced since you can injure them if it is not done properly), or simply waiting until it's a little older to voice-sex the little one. I'm glad he/she has caught up to the size of the others, you must be doing a great job raising him! I'm sure he/she would be much happier with a buddy, though. Have you thought of maybe snatching one of the other ducklings to be a friend for this guy? Might be hard at first for the other one since it's used to being with mom, but ducklings always do better with friends.

Back
Top Bottom