Boody Margo

Sandra Verbreyt

Songster
Jul 12, 2017
Temse Belgium
Hello . My Silkie Margo is broody AGAIN. She is being very difficult to break and is even sweating when I lift her out of the coop. Is it normal for them to sweat when broody? I cant say I have noticed her being sweaty before. Very hot and warm yes but never sweaty. My other Silkie Babs has only ever been broody once but Margo seems to be making a sport of it ;) . Usually lifting her out of the coop for a few days works but this time she is being particularly stubborn. Advice please anybody :)

I don't believe chickens can actually sweat, so any moisture must have a different source than the chicken.

Best way to break a broody is to put it in a wire cage slightly elevated off the ground for 3-5 days. Most silkies are chronically broody and can more difficult to break than other breeds.

Hello . My Silkie Margo is broody AGAIN. She is being very difficult to break and is even sweating when I lift her out of the coop. Is it normal for them to sweat when broody? I cant say I have noticed her being sweaty before. Very hot and warm yes but never sweaty. My other Silkie Babs has only ever been broody once but Margo seems to be making a sport of it ;) . Usually lifting her out of the coop for a few days works but this time she is being particularly stubborn. Advice please anybody :)
I use a wire dog cage to put the broodies in. I spread some of the wires apart so that they can reach the feed and water on the outside of the cage. They just turn the feed and water over if you place it on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom