Boosting egg production

quailcc

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2015
I have 4 hens and 1 roo in one cage, and 3 hens and 1 too in another. They all seem pretty happy. The bigger cage is not a wire bottom and they seem to really enjoy kicking their shavings around and knocking their food into the shavings to peck around for it.

I am getting 1 egg a day from 1 hen in the 3 hens cage. No eggs at all from the 4 hens cage. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. They all seem happy and healthy, there is always food and water and the lights go on at 7am and go off at 10pm, plus the sunlight from the windows.

What are some things you do to boost egg production. I would like to be getting at least a few eggs a day from these 7 hens!

I had a rooster and 7 hens in one cage and 7 hens in another.They were all 10 weeks old. The cage with the 7 hens gave an average of 6 eggs aday. The cage that had the rooster in only 1 or 2 aday. The rooster was very active with the hens. I removed him and the very next day I got 6 eggs out of the 7. They are now laying daily since I removed the roo. You may want to try that. I think the roo was just stressing the hens.

Try setting the cage by the rotisserie.

I was talking to the kids about our 2 year old chicken. She had only laid 2 eggs in the 3 months that she should have been laying. I knew she was getting the right foods to eat. So I told them that it was time for her to become soup. The next morning there was a egg & we've been getting 4-5 eggs a week.

True story but humor aside. What kind of light are you using?

I'm just using the ceiling light. It's a big room so there's 2 lights I put them both on, plus the sunlight that comes in the windows

Back
Top Bottom