Border collies ? update more help needed

We have one. Had her for about 5 years now. Let me tell you, she is loony with a capital L. She was being trained to work sheep, just too crazy and shot out to do anything. So, she was beaten for it. Made her more crazy. She's very smart, just crazy as a loon. So, the guy gave her to us. After 5 years, she's still crazy.

Border Collies are awesome! I had a BC/Aussie cross for my first dog-she was a wonderful dog. They need a job to do, or they will cause major grief. My dog's job was to chase a tennis ball. Which she did relentlessly her entire life. If they don't fetch balls, they need to herd, or do something to keep them occupied.

There is a 8 month old male for sale a town over. I have offered them less than what they were asking so I am waiting to hear back from them.
The research I have done sounds like they can be a great dog.
Thanks for those who responded to my post.

I have a BC/Lab cross who is extremely smart, sweet and trained easily and well for life with free ranging chickens. No incidents since he was trained(took about 20 min. total) a year ago, and he was only about a year old at the time of the training.

I can't say enough good things about this dog and only a few bad things.....when bored they will chew up anything! Jake is extremely high energy and really needs to work livestock to burn off his fuel, but he does what he can here with my other dog, a lazy GP/Lab mix. He makes her exercise and she gives him an outlet for all that energy!
lol.png

I have one, he is almost 7 years old now, and I love him to bits. he is good as a guard dog, very loyal, and it is said they are one-person dogs.

he is very good with people around me, but I am boss/Mam, he is calming down a lot as he gets older. You have to be quite strong with them especially with dogs, grump are much calmer and more friendly as a rule.

Having said all that I would not let my guard down with him. He is fast.

he likes to watch my girls, but I will not let him try to scare them, so he is now relegated to the front of the house. unless I am there to watch him. I think he would be more hurt than anyone if he did harm them, but I don't want to take the chance. Very bright and wonderful companion. lol... he is snoozing by my feet at the moment. I think he knows I am talking about him. lol....hiding his face. Ohh and he does not like cameras.

Enjoy your dog and train them well and they will reward you every day.

Jena.

Well I have a new Border Collie.
I am doing some research online to make sure I am taking the right steps in owning this breed. He is trained pretty well at this point. He was taken care of well at his prior home.
We will see how things go. He has seen my female dogs and since he is not fixed he tried to get on them. They did not allow that.
wink.png
He will be getting fixed soon.
He certainly is a beautiful dog.

update
My female Boston Terriers DO NOT get along with him at all. He is not fixed and has bothered them a few times, but they just don't like him.
I wonder if this is something we can work on or I should give the dog back to the original owners. They said they would gladly take him back and find a new home for him.
He also goes into the other dogs bowls and snaps at them when they try to eat. I correct hijm and put him into his own bowl. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Quote:
mine go to each others bowls but they seem to want to make sure that somebody is not getting something better than them sometimes my male will smell my breath to see if I have somthing better and when he was young he would only eat if I put somthing in his bowl that he thought came off my plate not to mutch fighting though

we have one and you just have to give them a job and therethe best and teach them to not be mean to your life stock and give them a create of there own then they would be great dogs then

My father in law has had a couple. Ever since then he gets really really mad if anyone tries to play fetch with any of his dogs. Problem was, they thought 'fetch' was their job and wouldn't do anything but. They're a disaster waiting to happen if left home all day, or allowed to run loose without supervision, and not given a job.

Back
Top Bottom