Bored chicks who are corn fanatics

Lunes

Chirping
Feb 25, 2023
Sorry- a lot of questions I’m about to unpack here 😂

My two silkie chicks are 4 & 3 weeks old and seemed a little bored in their playpen setup so I googled if I could give them snacks or something new and read that if I chopped up sweet corn and gave them a very small amount it was ok. Well, I think I’ve created monsters. Corn obsessed monsters. They try to fly up out of the pen at me when I get close now because they think I’m going to give them corn Everytime. I’ve only given it to them twice!!! I thought their little chicken brains would forget about it but I was very wrong 😂

does anyone have any tips for ways to give them a bit of stimulation/make them less bored?? I was told to probably avoid the chick sticks, and I put a roosting stick in but I don’t think they understand it yet. I added a small mirror but they would get SOOOO crazy that I had to take it out because they were getting so rowdy with it in there all day, wasn’t sure if it was distressing them or if they were just excited lol 😆

Also everyone says I won’t be able to tell if they’re male or female until they lay eggs?! Is that true? I feel like the white one gives me rooster vibes with its behavior and personality but I could be wrong! The white one is 5 weeks old- when would I be able to tell if it was white or lavender? Not sure the age you can really tell the true colour.

The darker one I’m guessing is grey?? Can’t really tell either 😆

They are kinda skittish but will eat right off my fingers or out of my hand. I don’t think they enjoy being petted (on the back of the neck) they run away and look at me like I’m committing a crime against chickens when I try to pet them, and now they think when I reach in to pet them that I’m going to give them CORN!!! 😭🤣

do they enjoy being pet more as they get older?? I would like them to be as friendly as possible for sure, I know they’re babies so I’m not sure if there’s more I can do to socialize them, I’m around them all day, they know my voice and get very excited for the corn, or tiny pieces of strawberry, but I just wanna make sure I don’t raise some neurotic chickens because I didn’t do x or y enough.

Thanks as always 🙂

Attachments

• C4F24641-FE65-4423-966B-71300DB225E4.jpeg
    C4F24641-FE65-4423-966B-71300DB225E4.jpeg
    799.5 KB · Views: 45
  • C30E2D02-6FC1-49AF-A53A-AB182656C4E1.jpeg
    C30E2D02-6FC1-49AF-A53A-AB182656C4E1.jpeg
    663.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 553D90EA-6FE8-4828-B6CB-4F9EF1D2A830.jpeg
    553D90EA-6FE8-4828-B6CB-4F9EF1D2A830.jpeg
    736.8 KB · Views: 13
  • C83F01B5-29DD-424C-B38F-9A232E82A76A.jpeg
    C83F01B5-29DD-424C-B38F-9A232E82A76A.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 12
Have you given them a big box of soft, ever so slightly damp, dirt to play in? Their daily dirt baths will make a terrible mess, but will entertain them for a very long time.

I did everything in my power to make my chickens want me to hold and snuggle them. I have only had four batches of baby chicks throughout the years. Holding them constantly when they were tiny didn’t work. Not touching them at all until they were a week old, but still letting them climb on me for treats, worked slightly better. I have tried practically ignoring them for the first six weeks of life as well. The truth is, there is little difference in any one of these methods in my experience. I have read everything I could get my hands on about how to make chickens snuggly like some peoples are, and yet mine still are not! If you figure out how it’s done, please let me know!

One thing that seems to be true is that once they start laying, most of them become much friendlier. They also seem to be friendlier as they get older. My two and three year olds wil let me bend down and pick them up even though they aren’t thrilled about it, and some of them still act bad while I’m holding them. 😂 My chicks raised by mama were also friendlier. I think mama let them know that I was OK, but she did not do that until they were a couple of weeks old. Also, always try to get the breeds that are considered the most friendly. That for me that has been true in about 75% of them.

I’m not sure if you saw, but one of the forums is specifically for help with sexing your birds. They are really good over there! I personally cannot usually wait and send a feather sample into IQ bird testing.com to find out what sex they are.

Your babies are adorable!!

They are reaching the age where it’s pretty normal for them to try to fly out of the brooder regardless if they have been fed treats or not. I agree a pan of dirt can be entertaining, but really at this age unless you put a top on your brooder they are going to try to fly out no matter what you do. Your white does appear to have a decent comb for this age which would indicate possible cockerel. Your other so far looks like a pullet and her coloring would be considered blue.

Can't blame them for being a bit bored, there's nothing but paper towels, food and water.

A pan of soil or some branches to climb on would give them some entertainment. Or even some leaves (like mine would take turn grabbing a leaf, and the others would chase it). Or some time outside, weather permitting. By 3 weeks old mine were up and down all over things, flying off the top of their brooder, exploring the world.

Once their feathers start growing in I stop holding them because it hurts them until their feathers are all grown in. Its something my mother told me ages ago and which I've found to be true. They don't like it so I don't do it and I've found that handled chicks aren't any friendlier than the ones I leave be. Once they are bigger and can have treats I will feed them out of my hand and that makes them friendly all by itself. I am not a lap chicken person so I'm sure some people will disagree with this advice but my point is not to worry about it too much.

Sorry- a lot of questions I’m about to unpack here 😂

My two silkie chicks are 4 & 3 weeks old and seemed a little bored in their playpen setup so I googled if I could give them snacks or something new and read that if I chopped up sweet corn and gave them a very small amount it was ok. Well, I think I’ve created monsters. Corn obsessed monsters. They try to fly up out of the pen at me when I get close now because they think I’m going to give them corn Everytime. I’ve only given it to them twice!!! I thought their little chicken brains would forget about it but I was very wrong 😂

does anyone have any tips for ways to give them a bit of stimulation/make them less bored?? I was told to probably avoid the chick sticks, and I put a roosting stick in but I don’t think they understand it yet. I added a small mirror but they would get SOOOO crazy that I had to take it out because they were getting so rowdy with it in there all day, wasn’t sure if it was distressing them or if they were just excited lol 😆

Also everyone says I won’t be able to tell if they’re male or female until they lay eggs?! Is that true? I feel like the white one gives me rooster vibes with its behavior and personality but I could be wrong! The white one is 5 weeks old- when would I be able to tell if it was white or lavender? Not sure the age you can really tell the true colour.

The darker one I’m guessing is grey?? Can’t really tell either 😆

They are kinda skittish but will eat right off my fingers or out of my hand. I don’t think they enjoy being petted (on the back of the neck) they run away and look at me like I’m committing a crime against chickens when I try to pet them, and now they think when I reach in to pet them that I’m going to give them CORN!!! 😭🤣

do they enjoy being pet more as they get older?? I would like them to be as friendly as possible for sure, I know they’re babies so I’m not sure if there’s more I can do to socialize them, I’m around them all day, they know my voice and get very excited for the corn, or tiny pieces of strawberry, but I just wanna make sure I don’t raise some neurotic chickens because I didn’t do x or y enough.

Thanks as always 🙂
I think it also depends on the breed you get. I purposely got good natured friendly chickens. We hold and touch them daily. I greet them in the morning and talk to them during the day. As soon as I speak to them, they come running. I made a brooder out of two 36" octagon dog, kitten, chick pens on amazon. I have linked them together so they can run the length. The 3-week-olds, which are Wyandottes, jump up when I open the zipper top and get on my arms and run up on my back. The 2 week old ones which are Rhode Island Blues and lavender Orpingons are now trying to do the same. They learn from the bigger sisters, lol. I have found none of them really want to be picked up at first, but do it anyway gently and hold them and keep them warm in your hands, then let them back with their siblings. They soon realize you are their friend and caretaker.
These pens, have zipper doors on the ends, so i let the bigger ones out and jump on me and inspect everything. I keep a waterproof cloth in front of the door and put a bit of their chick grower on it. Mimic the pecking motion with your finger and call them. That motion seems to attract them, like you are another chicken finding a treat. This has worked for all of mine. Now when I greet them in the morning they run to that door. I bought a small amount of coarse ground grits for a one in awhile treat. They love it, but only a little and not every day. Its organic.
Also a small container that they can dust themselves in is great for them.
Good luck with your tiny friends, they grow fast and soon will be giving back with wonderful fresh eggs!

Have you given them a big box of soft, ever so slightly damp, dirt to play in? Their daily dirt baths will make a terrible mess, but will entertain them for a very long time.

I did everything in my power to make my chickens want me to hold and snuggle them. I have only had four batches of baby chicks throughout the years. Holding them constantly when they were tiny didn’t work. Not touching them at all until they were a week old, but still letting them climb on me for treats, worked slightly better. I have tried practically ignoring them for the first six weeks of life as well. The truth is, there is little difference in any one of these methods in my experience. I have read everything I could get my hands on about how to make chickens snuggly like some peoples are, and yet mine still are not! If you figure out how it’s done, please let me know!

One thing that seems to be true is that once they start laying, most of them become much friendlier. They also seem to be friendlier as they get older. My two and three year olds wil let me bend down and pick them up even though they aren’t thrilled about it, and some of them still act bad while I’m holding them. 😂 My chicks raised by mama were also friendlier. I think mama let them know that I was OK, but she did not do that until they were a couple of weeks old. Also, always try to get the breeds that are considered the most friendly. That for me that has been true in about 75% of them.

I’m not sure if you saw, but one of the forums is specifically for help with sexing your birds. They are really good over there! I personally cannot usually wait and send a feather sample into IQ bird testing.com to find out what sex they are.

Your babies are adorable!!
How easy is it to do feather samples? Is it easy to really just pluck a few of them out?

How easy is it to do feather samples? Is it easy to really just pluck a few of them out?
I was really concerned about where and how to get the feathers, lol! I finally found some videos and images that helped me. I picked them easiest with a pair of tweezers- from around their butt! I felt bad, but it didn’t seem to bother them too much. Just get a good hold on the feather’s base while holding them upside down so they can’t squirm or wiggle out of your hand, and pluck it fast! I needed 3-4 and put them in ziplock bags immediately (labeled with each chicks name so you know whose is whose) and I got my results 3 days after I mailed them!

Back
Top Bottom