Bored duckling; Tips?

Loopeend

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
From a lot of eggs only 1 duckling came out.
We haven't been able to find a friend; luckely in the end of the week other eggs will hatch.

She seems incredible bored and I'm afraid this will do something with her devallopment.

What she does now in brooder; lay down and eat like a maniac. I'm affraid all that eating is also caused by boredom. If I take her out on the coach it's a whole other story; everything must be tested if it is pickable, runs around, streches, climbs, preens, washes herself, etc. In her brooder she does not do any of those things; just lie down. Since we can't take her out whole day I'm afraid she will be late with some skills since she only does them a few times a day.

What are toys/things I can do to stimulate her more?
It's now only an empty brooder with water and food.
Allthough so young; can I still give her some tiny bits of plants to try out to eat/destroy? Maybe go out and catch a bug? Put a bowl with mud/sand in it to poke at? Some bird toys?
We tried a plush toy and mirror; and that didn't make her more active. So it seems to be more the lack of stimulation of things to do in the brooder then feeling unsafe.

Tips would be welcome :)

I think going outside, weather permitting, to pick around is a great idea. Those little boogers can be sooo fast though, just make sure it's a safe area where she can't get under a fence, etc where you cant get to her. I put mine in a dog crate or pen that has poultry netting attached so that they can't slip out when they are tiny. There is no floor in either so they are able to lay in the grass and nibble. I put a mirror in the pen with our lonely duckling and she sat right next to it totally in love with her reflection. I also put a crock full of water in the pen with her with a rock inside and brick steps on the outside so that she could get in and out easier.

We just filled up the swimming pool yesterday with some minnows and boy did they love it!!!

20190615_153354.jpg

If she is small i would recommend a small pool. We have a small green pool that Mawmaw loves because she can get in it easy when she is laying eggs!
Mawmaws most favorite thing to do is to swim in her swimming pool!!

Also, she loves eating bugs. It makes small holes in our yard but it keeps the bugs out of our house.

Mawmaw likes me to sit on the back porch while she is outside. She is like a cat and lets me pet her when she wants.
If you want, catch her a june bug for a treat!
My ducks absolutely love them!

You can give them live crickets, chicken treat balls, mirrors. Live grass hoppers that they can chase. Just make sure their not to big.

Back
Top Bottom