Bought a new incubator for quail-newbie needs friendly advice!

quailchick91

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2016
So I just got my federal tax return and was able to get some new quail raising supplies which includes a new incubator and automatic egg turner from Tractor supply a new brooder setup which doubles a permanent cage for the chicks that make it to adul Hood and chick starter feed and any extra things I thought would b good to have on hand well long story short I have 20 eggs arriving shortly and I'm meeting the lady soon to go pay for them and bring them home I don't live very far from a local dollar store and I actually can walk to and fRom there in less then ten minutes my concern tho is wat should I do to ensure the eggs stay warm. Since I'm in Augusta Maine and it's still fairly cold outside I don't wanna risk too much of a temp drop on the eggs during the brief time it takes to get them home! Also how long would u all recommend they warm up before going into the incubator? I heard some things online of anywhere from 8 to 12 hrs so i really don't know where to start on that lol any other first time hatching tips and advice u all think I should know please don't hesistate to say something I'm always open to learning new things! Thanks to all in advance!

I think if you put the eggs inside a backpack or something similar and maybe wrap them in a blanket they should be fine. Mine were shipped from PA to CO in early March without problems. I left mine pointy end down for 24 hours before setting them up in the incubator because that is what I read to do. Despite the eggs being shipped some 1800 miles, I ordered 100+ eggs, got 118 intact ones, and ended up with 64 chicks. I would guess without shipping you should do much better on a percentage basis.

Just wrap the egg container in a towel or blanket and bring them home.
Set them pointy end down and let them come to room temperature then put them in the incubator.

You'll want to let shipped eggs sit for several hours to a day to let the air cell stabilize. You can put them in the incubator but don't turn on the turner until day 2

Back
Top Bottom