Bought a "yellow" peachick. What color will it be as an adult?

CountrySoul

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 29, 2010
I'm guessing it is about 6-7 weeks old. I have 9 week old blue india chicks I'm asking for help sexing help with. (see prior post)

I bought this guy from a feed store. The owner had no clue what color line it is. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping for a solid white peacock. But it sounds like other breeds/colors also start out yellow or white. Is that true?

What do you think?

A few weeks ago:
66628_0804001259.jpg

Today:
66628_0829001447_0002.jpg

66628_0829001446a_0002.jpg

Thanks!

wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif

Thats what I was hoping to hear!!!

Thanks guys....

I heard that they are not called "albino" simply because its not a "loss in pigment" like true albino creatures, which also have the red eyes due to lack of pigment.

They simply have white feathers. So yes, I guess you'd say that with the white ones, they do have blue eyes.. ??

Its all new to me!

Any idea's on my prior post with my 9 week old India blues?

I just can't wait for these cutie pies to get big and beautiful!

woot.gif
clap.gif

You're so lucky. It's not a walk in the park for us to get our peafowls. Year after year...even now that we got a really good batch of 2 peackicks out of 7, it still angers me that we had 3 failed attempts all the other years. I remember when I was little, we had a peacock called Kirby. He was the best.

There are no Albino Peafowl, White only, if it would have been a Black Shoulder it would have some color by now.

You Have a White Peafowl and at this age Whites are hard to sex.

white and if you mate it with the other one with white wing feathers, you will get more whites.

I have only known of two abino peachicks and both died....yes they would have pink eyes.

It's not that there's no albino peacocks... it's just that whites are NOT the same as albino, and 99.9% of white peacocks are going to be white and not albino.

And agree! White peachick
smile.png

In the other cases, you can tell when a peachick is white vs. color that starts out white because in a white, all the feathers will be uniformly yellow/white. In say... a blackshoulder, the bird will look yellow/white, but the primaries will be a slightly more tan color. It's a REALLY close similarity, but it's there!

Thanks so much everyone!!

I am so excited about this little guy!
celebrate.gif

I didn't realize i could mate him with our others to make more whites! Super fun! (hoping he is actually a HE)

I will continue to post pics to get advise on sex of this little fella.

I agree its hard to find peachicks around here too. I was fortunate enough to find a gal who had fertile eggs for my first batch. 2 out of 3 hatched!! YIPPEE! The parents were one White, and one India Blue. I thought they'd have more white on them.

I was very shocked to find 3 "yellow" peachicks at the feed store. I bought the one with the most "soft yellow" fuzzy feathers. The other 2 were yellow as well, but it was almost a shade towards tan. Of course, hindsight tells me I should have bought ALL 3!

Thanks again everyone! I'm new to this site, and you have really helped me out! I do not know ANYONE who has peafowl to ask advise from. This site is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom