Bought an anatolian shepherd pup last night...

Quote:
Then don't get a LGD breed.

I disagree - sort of.

Don't get a LGD breed from working lines and expect it to be a LGD. I've had pet pyrs just fine, and had many placed in pet homes (I do dog rescue) - but if you're looking for a dog to be a guardian, it's gotta be out there, bonded to the livestock it's supposed to be protecting. Otherwise they're not going to work. They're going to protect (*you* and the house, not the property and livestock.

In Turkey, where they originated, they stay with parents who teach them their guardian duties, and correct aggressive or playful activities. Without parents you are the teacher, and you have to watch for playfulness that can cause harm, and correct it immediately. The dogs don't mature into LGD for a year to three, depending on the dog. Anatolians are related to kangals, and coloring was selected so the dog would blend into the sheep or goat herd...white face, black face, buff color, all white. The dogs stay with their flocks all the time, and are friendlyto humans, but wary of strangers. They do know who their people are. They are protective of children, too. They do have natural instincts, but they do go through rambunctious juvenile period.

Good choice, and congratulations!

Andi is doing great. She is growing like a weed. She is not allowed in with the chickens unless supervised. She is still very much a puppy so I wouldn't trust her to not hurt a chicken just 'for fun'. She is responding well to discipline so far and NEVER attempts to stray from the farm even when she is out for hours. Only time will tell how she will do as a guardian. So far I would recommend the breed to others.
smile.png

Quote:
Does she spend the night with the animals? Mistake to let them sleep in the house. A kennel or dog run next to the hen house would be ideal... My sis got used plastic covered crib mattress for coziness and easy cleaning, but had to poke some holes to make it less like a balloon. Took the dogs a bit to get used to it, but they like it now. She does put baby crib sheets on, too.

Don't want to steal the OP , but can the LGD's be good companion/guard dogs if kept inside? We have been actively looking since we lost our Cleo. Have eliminated Pyrs for roaming and night barking. We do NOT have fencing but are far back from the road among the farm fields. We need varmint protection and companionship.

LGD's can be very good home protectors and family protectors but I always recommend fending for them. They for the most part are all roamers. What they see if what THEY own and will protect.
We have 3 ASD's. Luckily none of mine are fence jumpers but we get many in the rescue who are.
Also just wanted to let others know that ASD's also shed/blow their coat in extremes many times a year.

Dogs don't really bond with chickens.
If you have warm blooded livestock, like sheep or goats, you can bond her with them.

Barring that, do NOT encourage her to look to other dogs for company. Bond her with you, do "perimeter patrol" 2x a day and train as usual. Even if you let her sleep inside, most dogs with strong protective instinct will want to be outside at night once they hit adulthood - between 2 and 3. LOL, you cant really expect too much in the way of coyote chasing from her before that point anyway!

Very, very few LGDs will actively protect chickens. What they do is protect the property and the chickens benefit, such as they're after the raccoon because Mr Coon DARED to walk across their ground, rather then that they care about the chickens (dog to english dictionary, chicken; annoying, dog-food stealing squeaky toy I must not play with. ie, not really company)
Love your response. We just got our Boomer, male Anatolian 2 days ago. Boy I am in love with him. He never leaves my side when I am tending our livestock or garden. He is our 3rd doggie in the house, yellow lab 9 years old female Abby, feels he is a bother but she is very docile companion dog. But then again we have a 6 year old Jack Russell how owns the place, Domino is her name. She is an excellent LGD but is tiny and mighty. Our Anatolian has already figured out how to fit in and has learned to sit and come. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom