Bought as pullets... but i think i got ANOTHER rooster

workindog

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2015
CT
So im very new to chickens but these 2 barred rocks look different.. they were bought as pullets. They're the same age but one has a much bigger comb..

Say it isnt so! Im already loaded with roosters!!! Glad i did get 21 chicks!!!
20190515_005427.jpg 20190515_005317.jpg

The one is definitely a cockerel but tbh the other looks like it could be too based on the barring. The comb doesn't look pink or as large yet but the white in the barring looks larger than the black to me. Curious to see that one in a week or two

The one is definitely a cockerel but tbh the other looks like it could be too based on the barring. The comb doesn't look pink or as large yet but the white in the barring looks larger than the black to me. Curious to see that one in a week or two
Omg... of you're right im gonna ram my head into the wall lmao tho, i think she is a she. Only because she is much darker than the boy. But time will tell i guess..

I thought barred rocks were sexable right out of the egg from the white dots on their head? At least I think i read that somewhere? lol

Im VERY happy to say he found a home where he is going to be watching over 6 black star hens!!! and they are around the same age too :)

Omg... of you're right im gonna ram my head into the wall lmao tho, i think she is a she. Only because she is much darker than the boy. But time will tell i guess..

I thought barred rocks were sexable right out of the egg from the white dots on their head? At least I think i read that somewhere? lol

Im VERY happy to say he found a home where he is going to be watching over 6 black star hens!!! and they are around the same age too :)
I think that’s the case for more pure rocks, but with hatcheries it’s not always so distinct.

Also you have 6 Roos out of 21? I thought I was bad with 3 of my sexed pullets being Roos.

I think that’s the case for more pure rocks, but with hatcheries it’s not always so distinct.

Also you have 6 Roos out of 21? I thought I was bad with 3 of my sexed pullets being Roos.

I actually bought about half of our chicks as straight runs. But those 2 were bought as pullets. But total as of right now, we had 6 confirmed roos. Hopefully no one else turns up to be roosters lol

Back
Top Bottom