Bought incubator - but chicks aren't hatching - and it's been past 21 days

Thanks for the input. It's possible the dates may have been mixed up. I'm hoping so - hoping that they aren't a late hatch. They are chirping to each other and making the effort to get out but it takes time. I'm just going to let them do what they do...

Baby thermometer is a great idea. Thank you. I'm not going to help them hatch out from this point forward... All I did originally was remove a tiny section from where they pecked to make sure they had air. I've read it can take 12-16 hours for them to break free from the shell.

UPDATE:

After moving from the garage to inside the house - the Humidity is holding at 50 percent with no water in the tray. Two chicks are now pecking their way out. I took my fingernail and peeled a small section for them to breathe. They are chirping to each other. The eggs have July 4th and 5th dates. I had read somewhere the bantams take longer to hatch - but not sure if it's true or not. So I'm going to let them sit next to each other and let them peck themselves out. They seem to have some type of very thin membrane around them. Do I let them work themselves out or do I help peel back the shell more for them? Attached is a photograph. Again thanks for your help.
Hatching humidity should at least be 65% More if you are opening or going to be opening the bator. Because those eggs have a large amount of membrane showing now, you'll want a higher humidity and keep an eye on them. You may want to keep them moistened with a wet q-tip, especially if they start turning a brownish/yellow. The more membrane that's exposed the greater the risk of it drying out and glueing the chick in place.

Don't help them too fast, that will kill them. Bantams generally hatch a day sooner, not later, I suspect your thermometers are off and the temp is really closer to 98 than 100. I use a digital baby thermometer to check the temp from time to time. Those are very accurate, otherwise govt action or lawsuits could ensue, something the incubator manufacturers need not worry much about.
xs 2

Baby thermometer is a great idea. Thank you. I'm not going to help them hatch out from this point forward... All I did originally was remove a tiny section from where they pecked to make sure they had air. I've read it can take 12-16 hours for them to break free from the shell.
It can take anywhere from a few hours up to 24 hours from them to go from pip to zip. Mine seem to average between 12-18 hours. I try not to interfer until 18 hours with no progress and I try not to start an assist until closer to 24 hours.

Good luck and I wish you the best for these guys.

Thanks... one made it out of the shell already.. took him 10 hours... the other is still in his... The one that made it out of the shell looks tired. Just laying there flat and sleeping and then will wake up and peep. How long before the chick fluffs out and gets active?

Thanks... one made it out of the shell already.. took him 10 hours... the other is still in his... The one that made it out of the shell looks tired. Just laying there flat and sleeping and then will wake up and peep. How long before the chick fluffs out and gets active?
How soon they get active depends on the chick. As for fluffing up, I find mine don't really fluff until they've been in the brooder, but I keep my humidity in the bator up around 75% during hatch, and that will effect it too. If he still seems lethargic when you move them to the brooder, some save a chick electrolyte (pedialyte or gatorade has been used as well) or surgar in the water might help.

Gatorade.. good idea. The 2nd chick made it out of her shell. They both seem to be doing well. Chirping away. Moving them to the brooder tomorrow. I have my bator at 70 percent humidity - 100 degrees. Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom