Boy, are my girls territorial!

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
We are slowly building my run and my desk coop. (I guess I need pics). The doors are rather sad looking, at I didnt know how to saw a square without going in from the side.
lol.png

Anyhow, had my two girls out with me while I was working yesterday and today. A robin landed in the yard, and was curious and came hopping up to check them out, thinking ..."oh....other birds..wow, I bet I would be welcome!". Robins mistake!
My red sex link, I just call her Red, went charging after her and chased her halfway around the yard! Usually Brownie, aka Fussy, my EE is pretty laid back, but later in the day, she thought Red must have it right, and she started chasing every poor bird that landed. They are so funny to see them go charging after those birds! Needless to say, I was out today and only ONE bird landed in the yard.
lol.png

I feel so bad for them tho, I bet when I get my coop built, the robins will land outside of it and taunt them now! It looks so SMALL compared to having them run around the yard with me! It will be 6 1/2 foot x 4 foot and 3 foot high, then the desk on top of that, which is 40" x 28". So probably enuff for two birds, but my EE LOVES to fly high already at 8 weeks. Today she flew on top of my shoulder for the first time. Red I dont have to worry bout, she hurt herself the first nite here as a chick falling off the kitchen counter, so now anything over a foot scares the heck out of her. She likes something she can step off instead of flying.
I really cant tell at this point who is dominant, they seem equal. Anyone ever have just two that seem to be buddies instead of trying to gain dominance?

We are definitely going to need pictures of that desk-coop thing you are building!!
I firmly believe that everything can be used in one way or another for chickens!! LOL

chel

Hubby got carried away with the desk when I asked him to help remove one of the lil bottle cap legs. He pounded the whole thing around rather savagely, and NOW I need braces to put the boards back together on the WHOLE desk! Oh,and he also removed the desk drawer part that I was gonna use as a nest box. Hmmm.....He is about as handy as a bull in a china closet sometimes. I am the brains, he the brawn. I just have to be careful what I ask him to do.
tongue.png

He told me rather meekly, "I sure wished I hadn't gotten so rough with that"...Yea....so do I, honey.....!
lol.png
lol.png

Arghhh!

Last edited:
My RSL went after a heron yesterday, it was hysterical. I think she was just curious, but no bird lands in Boss Chick's territory without getting the go ahead. That poor heron didn't know what to make of that nasty red thing coming at him. The heron flew off, Boss Chick looked ruffled and the goldfish were saved! They can be so funny, they make me laugh everyday.

Karen

lol.png
You've got a predicament with your helpful husband
wink.png

To saw a square hole in the middle of a board use a big drill bit to drill a hole near one corner, then just follow your lines around with a jig saw. If you don't have a jig saw then just drill a hole near two opposite corners to get the saw into.

Good luck!

Wow,
Thanks Lexa, I should have asked on this board how to drill a square hole in wood starting out.
My husband asked me that. I said, well there has to be a way, I have seen a lot of them.
He told me to show him...well, all I have is a recipricating saw, which I have fun with but...well anyway, thats the reason he took out the desk drawer boards is cuz we couldnt cut a hole in them like I wanted, which would have given them one 14 inch by 30 inch nest box ALREADY built. sigh...
oh well...but do know, I AM keeping my eye out for any more free desks lying around...
lol.png

He is a sweetie, but if I dont tell him HOW to do it, boy howdy, look out. He is learning tho. He will do whatever I ask, its just I dont know what I am doing EITHER.
roll.png

Sis says we should have it finished sometime around October...
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom