Apr 14, 2018
Massachusetts
7FC569DC-6EE4-418C-B420-D6857AB66F49.jpeg
B544BFE1-E9EC-49C3-A93D-3FAFD7A6A030.jpeg
EC5E296B-509B-4113-B404-D85A7E5A153A.jpeg
890EE8DB-59DD-4C03-B6CE-297A078007F7.jpeg
5AF512EF-997B-42F0-AA73-B5EB8BE9098A.jpeg
hi!
Newbie here. I have 3 EE( I think) and one RI red. One of the EE is tall, and very nasty and bites me, clicks a lot more than the others.
They are about 6 weeks old. I bought them at the local grain store.
I am wondering if this white one is a boy.
It’s tail,seems longer and stands up higher than the others, and it’s got a huge attitude, lol.
What are your thoughts ? And thank you!

This is not good. I just gave away my Plymouth barred rock becuz he was a rooster too. It seems only 3 out of my original 5 are girls, so this one will need to go too. ...now I am worried that I won’t have enough chickens (3) to keep,each other warm in the winter. I live in MA., ...should I try to find a couple more chicks close in age? Geeeez ☹️

Definitely a cockeral.

The deep rust red coloring the shoulders, thicker legs, more upright stance. Yes even an attitude can be a sign although not always. I'm guessing his comb also has more color than your girls.

Before too long he will also be getting hackle and saddle feathers which are gender specific. Hackles in cockerals are pointy and shiny and sometimes even an entirely different color than the rest of the bird. They are also often coarser than regular feathers. In a pullet the hackles and saddle feathers stay small and each feather is rounded. In a cockeral or mature rooster the saddle is longer and sweeps over the back in front of the tail.

How old are they? I thought a couple of my EE’s were cockerels but they kinda grew out of the signs I thought I was seeing. I thought their tails were a dead five away then the shoulders but then they evened out. I would say wait to get rid of them until you’re 100% sure.

Well I guess you are all correct because this morning,...I went in to give the girls a treat, and it chased the other ones into a corner, and made a crazy noise I have never heard before. And he stood on his tippy toes, with his head way up, and flapped his wings at them. The other chickens cowered.
My next question; IF I can find 2 more, 6 week old chicks, and I put them in with the 3 I am keeping.
He’s going. I have no clue how to find chickens in MA.
But ~ No boys allowed.

Back
Top Bottom