Boy or Girl

Katz5617

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Everyone has been so kind and I know that by now I should be able to recognize male or female, but in truth - they all look alike to me and until they are older I cannot distinguish between the sexes. I have babies that are five weeks old today. I bought them at TS and three are BO's that were sold as sexed and females. I bought three production reds and they were a straight run so they could be either. Two of the PR's have already begin developing combs and waddles and the third has just the very small beginnings of a comb as do the BO's. I tried to snap a picture of one of the PR's I am questioning and the second one is pretty much identical to this one - can anyone hazard a guess as to if they are princes or princesses. I honestly can't tell and since we are not allowed to have roosters in the city limits it would be helpful to know and to watch out for these two. Of course I would wait a while longer for it to be more definitive, but if I may need to re-home them I need to be checking for possible places now. Thanks. Picture below.

These are the production reds I am wondering about - they were under their coop so I couldn't get a really great picture but they are five weeks old today. They hatched on February 27.

That's what I'm afraid of. I wouldn't mind a rooster, in fact I would like one but they are not allowed in the city limits. It's harder to give them away because no one around here and keep them. I have to find someone that will take them that lives in the county because I will not turn them over to animal control. They will just kill them if they are not adopted right away. I'm going to give it a few more weeks to be certain but I will begin looking for sources to re-home them with a good family.

Grow them up and eat them at about 15 weeks, just before they start causing trouble.
First crow and out they go.....Yummm.
It's part of having chickens, gotta deal with the males.

My grandchildren would have a fit - they name them when we get them. We'll have to re-home them. No eating the pet chickens for us. I have no problem eating strange chickens, but the ones we raise are a whole different thing.

Back
Top Bottom