Boy, the cost of a "chicken vet" is outragious...

The OP did say they were interested in determining what the problem was. I assumed (imho) the concern was achieving an economically sound cure rather than a curing.

The meat bird subject line does, on occasion, whet my appetite.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
lol, how exactly do you mail a dead chicken? mustn't it stink a wee bit? do you send it overnight on dry ice?
hope that one doesn't get lost in the mail!

but to the OP, my horse vet will do a fecal for about $5. maybe you could try a large animal vet?

Well some times you have to take a bird to the vet even if it cost alot of $$ the thing is if it has some kind of a disease which might be contagious then you might loose the whole flock.

omran

Quote:
lol, how exactly do you mail a dead chicken? mustn't it stink a wee bit? do you send it overnight on dry ice?
hope that one doesn't get lost in the mail!

but to the OP, my horse vet will do a fecal for about $5. maybe you could try a large animal vet?

You need to overnight it with cold packs and pack it well, they give you directions. No dry ice as you dont want to risk freezing the tissue as it destroys it. For me, I live close enough that
I would probably just drive it there. But I know many that have shipped them with no problems. It's done all the time.

Nancy

I don't know how to make sense of it. We just paid $450. (yes I said 450. in dollars) to take our now severely anemic silkie to the most outrageous vet ever. the 450 wasn't even for the bood transfusion that the vet wants to give her!

Was it worth it? YES! Will I do it again? Not sure. If it was a dog... no question we would shell out the cash for our little darlings.

We had another chicken that got attacked by a dog (It was gruesome) and we just slapped some ointment on her and sent her on her way (in a manner of speaking... we pampered her and of course took excellent care of her). She is doing great!

I totally get it you only paid a buck fifty for this little thing and now that you’re hooked it's costing you a fortune!

What do you do?!?!?!?! It's crazzzy huh? All of the things we do for the love of a chicken!

As to the dog vs chicken controversy, try this.
In this culture, that being the USA for any international readers, there is no place I know of that serves buckets of Kentucky Fried Dog.

Quote:
True but on the flip side there are whole websites with multiple members discussing their
"housechickens" and chicken diapers for sale.

The controversy isnt comparing dogs and chickens but how you view your chicken.
Some view it as food, others as a pet. That doesnt make either wrong. I don't think the original poster's question was whether she should cull it or not.. but how to find a less expensive place to get the diagnostics run.

Nancy

Just saying they don't serve dog is still applying a rather narrow view and not accounting for different people's opinions. I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to eat so long as it is not someone's pet. I only have a problem with people buying or saying they will home a pet and then eating it or feeding it to another animal. I also respect whatever anyone wants to keep as a pet provided they can care for it properly and whatever amount they want to spend on it. If someone is looking into vet care they either probably feel their chickens are pets or are concerned for the health of the rest of their flock so suggesting killing the chicken off or letting it die accomplishes nothing.

Back
Top Bottom