Brahamas feet

Smilin Teri

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Can the feathers on a Brahamas feet be cut back ?? Trimmed off ?? I took in a Brahma hen a few weeks ago and my hens (NOT BRAHMAS) pull her feet feathers out-Notice just now they pulled some more out and blead a little--WHAT CAN I DO ?? I am thinking they are not use to feathers on the feet and may think something is wrong--I DON'T know new at this and its bothering me--

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't risk cutting/trimming the feathers on the feet. I have Lt Brahmas and a Cochin/SLW mix that have feathered feet and have never had an issue. When cutting feathers that close to the chicken, you run the risk of bleeding.

I am at a lose because MY HENS pluck her feathers right off--I am feeling really bad but they see that as different--She didn't grown up with mine--Don't know what to do

could try coating her feet with some anti peck lotion. they sell it at TSC. I would not trim the feathers because some are blood feathers and it hurts when feathers grow back. also, if her legs look really rough you should check for leg mites. I thought my other chicken were pulling off my buff brahma roos feet feathers but really it was leg mites. Ive been treating with vaseline for about 2 weeks and he looks 10X better

THANKS Debs55 will apply Vaseline in the morning --IF SHE HAS MITES How do I get rid of them ????

if you search leg mites in the search bar it will give you a lot of information but this is what I did.

1) I brought him in and washed his legs with dawn dish soap and warm water to get all the gunk out from under his scales. I also cleaned them with some peroxide cause he had some bloody spots where feathers were broken off

2) I coated his legs down with a THICK layer of vaseline. I did this for about a week and a half

At first I left him in the pen and he was getting better, but one day I came home and saw blood all over his legs. I think when the dead scales started coming off the hens were pecking his legs. After that I cleaned his legs again and applied neosporin and separated him. That was maybe 3 days ago and I am already seeing new feathers grow back in.

Back
Top Bottom