Brahma or serama cockerel? Help me decide which one

You can YouTube crowing sounds of both breeds to see if one is more annoying than the other. Lol.

I've been crowed at right into my eardrum by Big Red. I'm one of those people who love crowing. So I'm not the best person to ask which crow is more annoying. I can tell you however that the neighbors didn't hear much of the crowing my previous bantam male did

I cast my vote for the brahmas! I I’ve heard they will bless you with broodyness !

One of my brahma girls, Efi if I'm not mistaken, came with a confirmed history of broodyness. Which is something I really like for both breeds to have, as they are supposed to be broody birds

I would definitely get a Brahma boy then. Once you have him you can breed all the baby Brahmas you would ever want!

Well, the decision was made for me. The acquaintance called. They basically said "come pick up your seramas" I asked if they had any brahma cockerels (up till one week ago they did) they said no. So that was that. I know, I know, I shouldn't make plans by myself, but since I saw the brahma cockerel with my own eyes I figured it was justified. Anyways, lol I'll be picking up the seramas this weekend probably, judging by their attitude today. Its probably the better decision. The neighbors will be happier, I'll get yo keep my males year-round, and I'll be able to hatch more chicks:D. Now I just need some help from the serama people. @WoDia @bantamsrmyfav I also know @BastyPutt Has a very nice dream about a pittbull serama rooster/shoulder bodyguard, so I'm sure he has done a lot of research into them

I’m excited for you! Seramas are precious and really fun to watch. They don’t eat nearly as much as standard breeds, and they also don’t have full molts like the standards either. Instead, they basically molt throughout the year losing a feather at a time. And, they take confinement well. The hens are terrific mothers (in my experience). My roosters are also just as friendly as my hens and really like interacting with me. Since the winters here are normally harsh, I take a few extra measures to keep my teeny ones warmer as well. Here are some of my adorable boys. There a few more not in the picture. The roosters even do quite well together.
IMG_9861.jpeg

I’m excited for you! Seramas are precious and really fun to watch. They don’t eat nearly as much as standard breeds, and they also don’t have full molts like the standards either. Instead, they basically molt throughout the year losing a feather at a time. And, they take confinement well. The hens are terrific mothers (in my experience). My roosters are also just as friendly as my hens and really like interacting with me. Since the winters here are normally harsh, I take a few extra measures to keep my teeny ones warmer as well. Here are some of my adorable boys. There a few more not in the picture. The roosters even do quite well together.
View attachment 3565498

Oh they're really pretty! Do your blacks breed true? Do you show them? I have two more questions. First, how many eggs can they safely brood? Also something I probably won't need for some time, what do you use for nest boxes? I've seen people using tupperware containers

Thank you!! I need to get more pictures of my setup. Anyhow, I haven’t really considered showing them. My hens have brooded 1-4 eggs (depending on size of the hen). I don’t let them brood more than they can fully cover. I have classes A, B, and C. No Micro so far. The class A hens I have usually brood 1-2 eggs comfortably. They have tried to brood more, but I always remove the extra eggs. Otherwise, they’d have difficulties successfully incubating all of them. The black bred true with two particular hens. With a few others, I’ve gotten various colors and patterns. I use 5 gallon buckets on the floor, with open ends facing the corners. Many people do use Tupperware etc, but I like giving them safe dark places on the floor. Then, I remove the hen and eggs (still inside the bucket) when it’s close to the end of incubation. I place them in a cage with food, a safe for chicks water dish, and cardboard fixed to the sides, so chicks can’t slip through. I’m also guilty of bringing a hen and egg(s) inside from time to time due to the hen being so tiny and chick safety issues.

Thank you!! I need to get more pictures of my setup. Anyhow, I haven’t really considered showing them. My hens have brooded 1-4 eggs (depending on size of the hen). I don’t let them brood more than they can fully cover. I have classes A, B, and C. No Micro so far. The class A hens I have usually brood 1-2 eggs comfortably. They have tried to brood more, but I always remove the extra eggs. Otherwise, they’d have difficulties successfully incubating all of them. The black bred true with two particular hens. With a few others, I’ve gotten various colors and patterns. I use 5 gallon buckets on the floor, with open ends facing the corners. Many people do use Tupperware etc, but I like giving them safe dark places on the floor. Then, I remove the hen and eggs (still inside the bucket) when it’s close to the end of incubation. I place them in a cage with food, a safe for chicks water dish, and cardboard fixed to the sides, so chicks can’t slip through. I’m also guilty of bringing a hen and egg(s) inside from time to time due to the hen being so tiny and chick safety issues.

Oh I like the bucket idea! At what age do your pullets start laying? What do you do to break them? Do you hatch the pullet eggs? OK, I ended up having WAY more questions😅

The earliest mine began laying was about 4-5 months. If I want to break the broody ones, I keep removing eggs as soon as a hen parks herself on a nest and refuses to move. That normally is all it takes. Sometimes, I move a bucket to another area. I hope my answers will be useful to you. 😊

Back
Top Bottom