Brahma over Barred Rock Hens for meat mix...sex link color?

moving coops

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
So getting ready to put my meat mix pen together. In the one pen I am going to put Brahma Rooster over Barred Rock Hens. This should produce sex link.
But what are the colours or marking of the chicks if I put a Buff Brahma Rooster over or If I put a Light Brahma Rooster over?

Also the opposite, I was going to put my Barred Rock Rooster over both my Brahma hens and light hens. This would not produce I sex link, if I am correct, they will all be barred, and maybe the buff crossed ones would have buff leakage when grown out, correct?..

But here is the thing, I actually had a Partridge Rock rooster from breeder quality flown in, he is huge, much larger than my Barred Rock rooster, so what now happens with my color and marking if I put a Partridge Rock Rooster over my Buff Brahma hens and my Light Brahma hens. Or should I stick to a barred rock rooster for uniformity...

Reason for cross, if we have a large family and live in a climate with short grow out season. Cross produces stock that grow faster and often larger than either Heritage stock did.

Later in season they will be bred back in pure pens once cleaned out.

In the first scenario, the females will be dark with gold or silver markings, and the males will be barred with gold or silver markings.

I think you are correct in the second scenario.

What was the source of your birds? I ask because typical brahmas are slow to mature, as are Plymouth Rocks. They will build the frame first, then add muscle. It might be a better idea to go with something with a faster growth rate. Also, if the partridge Plymouth rock is larger than the barred, I am guessing you have small barred rocks, as the biggest partridge rocks tend to be much smaller than the barred rocks that are available.

My Barred Rocks are from a good source of a lady that does show and her lines from some good lines and are bigger of higher quality than hatchery stock that I have seen, big roosters and hefty hens.

And yes usually Partridge Rock are not as big, and that has been well documented. But I sourced from a guy here in Canada that have been working with the rock breeds in different colours for years and years and showing as well. His Partridge as big as his Barred. Truly when this guy came, he is huge, broad, and massive rock stature..

Do you have photos? Do you have weights? I have both Barred and Partridge Plymouth Rocks also. I show Barred Plymouth Rocks, and I have a Partridge Plymouth Rock project where I am working on size.

I. An hopefully try for pictures in the next bit. We are crazy busy getting ready for winter. They are extreme here. Actually also picking up more SPPR at airport on Monday so a crazy week but sure will try.

I can’t get my Barred Rock Rooster anymore as I culled him, though large wrong colorin on legs. So just have my upcoming grow outs now, from stock that was large but still I just know won’t be size of Partridge and his super broad chest...

I will next year get more Barred Rocks from the source I got my Partridge since I am so impressed.

Back
Top Bottom