Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a fox attack last year taking 6 very good quality Brahma hens, 15 chooks remained, probably partly as a result of the dog hearing the fox(es).
Eventually I found my Dark Brahma rooster cowering, terrified and ripped all over his back under a hedge. Looks like he had tried to protect his girls (even though he is the most placid of birds).
We are miles from a vet and it was a weekend. Darky (the rooster) had gashes 2-3 inches long and puncture wounds. He was in a collapsed state.I bought him indoors,thoroughly cleaned his wounds , gave him aspirin and stitched his wounds with very fine silk twine (about 20 stitches in all). For 2 days he looked like he would succumb......I syringed into him glucose water and kept him warm indoors. Day 3 and I heard a strangled noise as I came downstairs.....feared the worse, but realised it was Darky trying to crow. Thereafter he made an uncomplicated recovery with stitches out at 7 days.
Here he is a few days ago with a few of the 'mob'
IMG_5192.jpg

Just to say it's always worthwhile 'having a go' with treating your birds.

Oh, and NO visible scars.

I was wondering if anyone had ever used a PVC pipe feeder? This was a PVC pipe that you stood up verticle and you filled from the top, but the feed collected in a certain type of joint at the bottom. Looked like a less messy alternative to normal feeders - thoughts?

I have 12 beautiful LF Brahma hens...I used to have a LF light Brahma rooster and an roosterless at the moment....When I had the rooster I was always having trouble with my poor girls getting gashed in the sides...I was wondering if this is a problem with large fowl or just the particular rooster I had...I miss having a rooster and hesitate getting another!..Any advice would be great!

~Laura

My girls have to wear poultry saddles all summer long....but they do not even seem to notice that the saddles are there once you have put them on. One of my boys weighs 14lbs....so an absolute necessity for me.

Quote:
Thank you...I did put saddles on all the girls but he had them all plucked bald and their poor back were bald...They look like brand new girls now he is gone...I just miss hearing him crow!
hmm.png

Hello guys, here are the pictures of my hens/pullets. Enjoy!
Buff Brahma Hen
21665_brahma_hen_1_buff.jpg

Light Brahma Hen
21665_brahma_hen_2_light.jpg

Semi-Golden Laced Black Pullet
21665_brahma_pullet_1_semi_golden_laced.jpg

Red Brahma Boy w/Red Partridge Brahma Girl
21665_red_brahma_boy_next_to_red_partridge_brahma_girl.jpg

Buff Cross Brahma Pullet
21665_brahma_pullet_2_buff_cross.jpg

Black Brahma Boy
21665_black_brahma_boy_3.jpg

Red Partridge Brahma Pullet
21665_brahma_pullet_3_red_partridge.jpg

Red Brahma Boy showing off
21665_red_brahma_boy_3.jpg

Barney and Betty were given to us on a trip back to FL during the holidays.
Our last surviving chicken, Bob, was killed in early Dec. by a stray that took up here.
So I guess wer'e in the Brahma business now. Betty lays about 4/wk.

25177_img_2021a.jpg

So I am super confused.....I'm hearing mixed things about the dark brahma chicks.

From what I understand is that the females will have the penciling and the males wont.

Thus being said I hatched 6 dark brahma chicks

ALL have penciling BUT they are all feathering out at different rates which is driving me crazy.

So from what I"ve seen the males will feather out black mine aren't doing that

I want to replace our Lt Brahma flock with a better quality breed !!
I see/read "not hatchery stock" So does that mean they could/should/maybe will produce SQ
Are Brahma's a Heritage breed? I saw that posted only 1 time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom