Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brahmas just started laying this week, and were hatched last May/June. They eat like they will never see food again, but not quite as much as my massive orpingtons. They weigh as much as a xmas turkey and waddle like they have a ball between their legs. The eggs are tiny, too. Really small in comparison to hybrid eggs. Really tasty though!

I have a question for all you Brahmas folks. I have two Light Brahmas that I bought as chicks from a local farm. I was told they were Bantams but they lay a med/lg brown egg and stand around 15" and weigh maybe3.5 lbs. Is this big for a Bantam?

Sounds a bit large for bantam, and way to small/light for a standard. Most likely bantams. Are you guessing at the weight and height. Bantam Brahmas do lay a nice sized egg compared to other bantam breeds.

66797_020.jpg

Here is a pic of one right before she started laying. there is also another pic on my website of them. I went out to get a more accurate measurement and she is 16" tall at the top of her head and she weighs in just at 3lbs. I looked up the Bantam standard and though it said they were smaller. I do like the size of the eggs and their temperments are amazing!! I would reccomend them highly to anyone
smile.png

I came down with the Flu and have been in bed all day Saturday and all day today - this is rough. I missed going, I have been to several and enjoy each one. Matbe the next one...

Hatching finally ended - 14 chicks. 8 LF Partridge Brahmas (4 Lemon Pyle Cross) and 6 LF Darks.

My Partridge Girls are laying like crazy - I filled the bator with

8 Dark Eggs
10 Brahma Cross Eggs
22 Partridge Brahma Eggs

I love hatching season - what are you all hatching?

I'm setting light and buff bantam eggs every Saturday. I got some LF Dark eggs from Carole and they are in now also. I have four breeding pens of Bantam buffs and two of bantam lights. Hope to hatch about 100 and cull down to about 25 show and breeder birds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom