Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 mos old BLBs

51721_3-26-11_birds_075.jpg

51721_3-26-11_birds_080.jpg

I just LOVE the buff laced!!
love.gif
That cockerel is almost as big as your son! I've got to stop coming to this thread!
gig.gif
Beautiful birds dak!

I have a few questions that are probably pretty dumb but I am relativly new to chickens in general and just aquired my first brahma chicks from a breeder 4 weeks ago. I have three dark brahma chicks, two are similar in color but one is much darker. It has a pattern to its wings but they are much darker than the others. The legs on this bird are also dark. These are pets, I am not planning to show or breed at the moment although I do hope that is in my future at some point. I just want to know a little more about them. I was also wondering about their gender, is it still too early to tell if they are girls or boys? I have heard conflicting info on them, some people say that the darks are easy to sex early by the pattern but then others said that is not an absolute. I love these chicks no matter what they are, they are the sweetest babies and I believe that any birds we aquire in the future will probably be brahmas from now on.

Here are the babies:

This is the dark one.
66577_dsc_0003.jpg

66577_dsc_0004.jpg

66577_darkbr1.jpg

Chick #2
This is the bravest chick, and the one that steals the most treats. It is also the smallest of the three brahmas.
66577_dsc_0021.jpg

66577_dsc_0016.jpg

66577_dsc_0028.jpg

Chick #3
The same size as the darkest brahma. This one has more feathers on its middle toe where the dark one doesn't have many and its legs are yellow.
66577_dsc_0026.jpg

66577_dsc_0025.jpg

Quote:
Love to see pics, no excuses needed!

Tomato sauce? No, far too much salt, is very bad for chickens. Fresh oily fish would do, steam it though, remove bones but not skin and mash it all up after, they'll love it.

I just saw the pics - def two roosters and a hen. The two with the noticable wattles are boys. They even stand like boys, all upright and chest out, the girls carry lower and more forward. Sorry Angela!

Last edited:
OK, I got five test eggs from my blue hens x gold partridge rooster. He's a massive dude, and although I know exactly noting about colour genetics, infact nothing about genetics at all, I am getting pretty excited to see what I get. One of my brahma hens laid exactly eight eggs, her very first eight, then sat. I left her in the coop on an empty nest for three days, still sat, took her out to the broody pen and a new house, new nest, no eggs, she sat. Gave her five brahma eggs and seven serama eggs, and left her off. They have been incubated since Monday so I know all are developing so far at least. She won't even get off her nest, so I have to turf her out and get her out of her broody trance to eat drink and poop before letting her dive back on them. Think she'll be a great broody yet!

Thanks Dan and Gary. I guess I should pick up a couple of Bantam white cornish females. Dan I have only seen Black, Buff, Light, Dark and partridge in the Brahma bantams. I'm just a bit intrigued by the "white" bantams as they are a recognized variety, yet seemingly non-existent. I like the Cornish idea as there would be no comb issues. A good Brahma comb is a good Cornish comb. I have a trio of Dark Cornish from Billy Grimes, they are my "nephews".

Clare, that Buff laced pullet is awesome! The K is too, the P is just eye-catching. The bantams will be more manageable for you little boy!!!

Last edited:
Bought PVC tonight to make my new feeders. I am using a cap, a 3' long piece of 1 & 1/2" pipe, a "Y" joint and a plug - cost about $6.00 to make and they will attach to the outside of my coop, so no more going in to feed if I dont want too. I'll post pictures later - but I seen these under coop design forum and they look awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom