Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quote:
I was just using RBA as a reference point in price. The closest person I've found with 'decent' birds wants $30 a dozen hatching eggs. Won't sell chicks or young pullets. If I could find a few more lf darks that had decent type I would be happy.

Hey guys i have posted pics of my roo twice now in hopes of some constructive criticism, so that i can improve my stock in future and no replies?

Hey guys i have posted pics of my roo twice now in hopes of some constructive criticism, so that i can improve my stock in future and no replies?

I'll give this a shot even though I'm new here, I raised Light Brahmas in both bantam and large fowl for about 8 years. Please understand I'm giving and honest assessment and not trying to offend, and that it's only one mans opinion. I did not see the birds age posted, but he needs to fill out in the chest, if he's a young bird this might come with age. Right now he looks kind of racy and slight built. Head could be wider. His tail is not correct, too pinched and at too high an angle. Size is hard to tell from a photo so get a scale and weigh him. I do like that his markings are fairly clean from what I can tell on my screen and he appears to have decent length of body. Overall if you're seriously interested in breeding brahmas To the standard, I would probably take a pass on him for breeding purposes and get some stock from a really good breeder. Otherwise get the biggest, widest female you can find with the broadest head possible and maybe even a lower than normal tail angle.

Edit: As a semi-related side note, does anyone know who ended up with William Shearer's line of Light Brahmas after he passed away? Or has that line disappeared?

Last edited:
People a wary here of hurting feelings and telling the truth when a bird belongs in a stew pot not a breeding program.
hmm.png

Lol, that's why i am asking because even though he looks pretty to me, I am more interested in raising birds that could be shown (if i could find some shows) He is a young bird so he might fill out but with all the other faults i think i will pass on hatching any eggs. Thanks so much for the feed back.

Last edited:
I have a 3 month old cockerel from a different line but he looks like his saddle feathers are all white grr, i will keep trying!

Last edited:
People a wary here of hurting feelings and telling the truth when a bird belongs in a stew pot not a breeding program. :/

This is very sad because if people don't get told the truth how are they to learn? I'm eternally grateful that I had the mentors and role models in poultry that I did that flat out told you how your bird stacked up.

This is very sad because if people don't get told the truth how are they to learn? I'm eternally grateful that I had the mentors and role models in poultry that I did that flat out told you how your bird stacked up.
It is sad. But some people spend big money on birds, being told that they are "show quality from the best lines". When they post pics and asked for opinions, expecting to get something along the lines of "wow, that bird is amazing. Where did you get it? Best I've seen in awhile! etc" and they are told that the bird has some faults, or worse is an absolutely horrible specimen, they get butt hurt and scream "no fair!". It's even worse when they placed with it in a small town show. As a lesson, always ask questons when buying. Because taking multiple BV, RV, BB, RB, etc at a small podunk fair isn't false advertising on a sellers part........or is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom