Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Th
This is my point, plus do the work and volunteer for local clubs and shows to show people you're serious. Don't expect charity but hard work and patience pay off. I also would have a hard time paying $50 for a bird, yes I know how much it takes to raise them. But if you're raising chickens to make money then you're in the wrong hobby. But it does matter on the buyer. Same bird but one person that wants it is a long timer with lots of breeds, buys and sells with the wind change? Yeah he's gonna pay $50-$100 or more to buy that bird if its worth it. Some kid that's been stuck with hatchery stuff for a couple years and does well in showmanship and always helps everyone out, always goes to the regular shows and is really into it? Here take it, or $5 or whatever.

It's up to the individual, and it's a fine line but as a breeder, if you really want to promote your breed, and promote poultry in general, sometimes it's us (well me in my poultry past and near future) that need to make the financial sacrifice so that the fancy and our breed can continue to thrive.

But buyers, again, don't expect charity, prove that you're into it. Prove through sweat and time that you aren't just trying to take advantage of someone. Get involved as much as you can as often as you can.

I think I've babbled enough on the topic so I'll go back to lurkin this thread (until I need more advice with my dark bantams or find some decent large fowl again)
I agree with everything you said. My problem is with laziness...physical, intellectual, financial. It just irks me, the idea that hard work is no longer a requirement. I am not in the fancy for financial gain. I promise I don't even come close to breaking even. I do want a fair price for a good bird though. Feed is not getting any cheaper. Not to mention the things John W. pointed out.

Tim

True very true. Another breeder that raises brahmas that I was talking to who helped me out a ton this last year told me that generally $50 is about the minimum you can expect to pay for a bird like a brahma. She also was nice enough to give me a light brahma cockerel. Although the dumb thing killed its self by being a chicken. Fixed that problem after I figured out what went wrong.
Almost every true fancier I know, is more than willing to help a young man or lady(who demonstrates a degree of commitment) with quality birds.

Tim

I found 2 people where have helped me and others I am very happy but the last 8 chicks i got come with something ALWAYS Quarentine thank God they where the only chicks i had .
I will throw away the brooder it will burn and be dead ,

The chicks came with Upper respatory disease . IBD according to my vet or was it just IB ?
anyway its been treated 2 times now one more treatment and they are Young so when you do get chicks PLEASE Quarentine,
AND have fun ,

The gal i had just got them from just bought some at a show Had no idea she had it ,
Anyway she is also treating .

I agree with everything you said. My problem is with laziness...physical, intellectual, financial. It just irks me, the idea that hard work is no longer a requirement. I am not in the fancy for financial gain. I promise I don't even come close to breaking even.  I do want a fair price for a good bird though. Feed is not getting any cheaper. Not to mention the things John W. pointed out.

Tim

Oh totally. I wasn't meaning to call you or anyone else here out. Apologies if it came across that way.

Just in case it got lost in the shuffle does anyone know anything about the two lines of Brahma I asked about above if they have been preserved anywhere?

I'd like to introduce my Brahma's to you. I think they are lovely creatures, they like to follow me everywhere around the garden and we have long conversations about... nothing really...
tongue.png

My rooster 'Herrie'

The ladies...
'Troela'

and 'Tuttebel'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom