Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i guess i need to clarify a little .i was not talking about selling a kid or a young person 50 a bird when trying to get into showing . if thats were there heart is really at . but to a grown man yes !!! and even at 50 dollars you cant get rich .I mean if you hatch 50 chicks and cull down to say 12 or less .and you sell a pair or trio for 50 each you sure are a long was from getting your money back. 15 years ago i bought my darks from Barb Pipper and yes i paid 50 dollars each back then and was proud to have her blood line .and i dought she got rich for selling them to me ! i look at it that i wanted to raise dark brahmas . and i wanted the best i could get so i paid her for her years of hard work and experience . and for me it was worth it!!! and my buffs from Bill Mayer paid 75 for a trio . a person hard work has to be worth something .i mean you cant afford to give everything away can you???yes promote the breed help a young person out if you can. my mentor was Tom Wiltshire from MT Carrol IL great man i will never forget him and yes i got birds from him for 10 each but every fall i went down cleaned his breeder barn out and his brooder house so he was ready for the season and when ever he needed me i gave a hand if i could. thats how i wound up being the second man in the us with gold partridge brahmas and work with tom to make them better .so yes im all for a mentor helping out someone that is really in love with every thing that goes with show birds !!! my point was that 50 for a bird with all the coast and hard work that goes into them is a fair price if some one wants to benefit from all your hard work ?? thanks john w

ok i guess i need to clarify a little .i was not talking about selling a kid or a young person 50 a bird when trying to get into showing . if thats were there heart is really at . but to a grown man yes !!! and even at 50 dollars you cant get rich .I mean if you hatch 50 chicks and cull down to say 12 or less .and you sell a pair or trio for 50 each you sure are a long was from getting your money back. 15 years ago i bought my darks from Barb Pipper and yes i paid 50 dollars each back then and was proud to have her blood line .and i dought she got rich for selling them to me ! i look at it that i wanted to raise dark brahmas . and i wanted the best i could get so i paid her for her years of hard work and experience . and for me it was worth it!!! and my buffs from Bill Mayer paid 75 for a trio . a person hard work has to be worth something .i mean you cant afford to give everything away can you???yes promote the breed help a young person out if you can. my mentor was Tom Wiltshire from MT Carrol IL great man i will never forget him and yes i got birds from him for 10 each but every fall i went down cleaned his breeder barn out and his brooder house so he was ready for the season and when ever he needed me i gave a hand if i could. thats how i wound up being the second man in the us with gold partridge brahmas and work with tom to make them better .so yes im all for a mentor helping out someone that is really in love with every thing that goes with show birds !!! my point was that 50 for a bird with all the coast and hard work that goes into them is a fair price if some one wants to benefit from all your hard work ?? thanks john w
WOW 12 Good Show Quailty Chicks out of 50 ., I want that trio in my group try more like 3 maybe 4 really top quality show birds out of a good trio. Ive bred animals for years and even the Top in the world will maybe produce 3 or 4 Top quality show stock in its life time , you can breed 2 of the most amazing animals in the world and NEVER get show quality,. Im not sure where you getting your info from unless your not very picky,

I was always told, and experienced myself, the best breeders aren't always the best show birds. That's actually quite a reasonable, but good, figure if you know your line well enough.

If you breed the two best birds together you don't always get more good ones. Seems like it should work that way but...it doesn't always.

Edit: I guess it depends on what you consider good show quality though, do you mean a bird that's a threat to go best in show every time out or do you mean a bird that has a good chance to go class champion every time out? For my personal example the breed that I had the longest was Langshans, never did breed a best in show winner but every year a good 25% of the hatch if not more had a great shot at winning the asiatic class at most shows and probably 10% were good enough to compete for champion large fowl at most shows back then. Brahmas I was not as successful with, but there were a few fantastic breeders out here to compete with. Never a sure thing but I don't see a dozen good birds out of 50 being odd or boastful. Especially in a small class like the Asiatic class

Last edited:
want brahmas 2 ,

Sorry Miss read your post But still getting that top bred bird animal and selling it with out keeping iot in your heard is also worth something as your also buying a name . a great line of Hard work thats taken someone more then just putting 2 animals together . and remember we all pay our dues 50.00 a bird Is cheap.

My avatar now is one of the best kittens i have ever produced . 5000.00 she came with 5 yrs of hard work and my own personal lines ,. im wanting one i can show she has 1 flaw that stops her from showing her tail i am repeating this breeding and crossing fingers . for the sale i am also getting a kitten back and breeding her to the boy i would of bred her too at my home hoping to get that said Kitten, Tammy

I started with this and worked my way up by culling hard and it takes work as well as knowledge and you do not get that info free it takes time energy and love of what your doing, I only hope i can bring up a good line of brahmas and will cull hard but i also need eyes and help . Love this list and again sorry I miss read your post

I was always told, and experienced myself, the best breeders aren't always the best show birds. That's actually quite a reasonable, but good, figure if you know your line well enough.

If you breed the two best birds together you don't always get more good ones. Seems like it should work that way but...it doesn't always.

Edit: I guess it depends on what you consider good show quality though, do you mean a bird that's a threat to go best in show every time out or do you mean a bird that has a good chance to go class champion every time out? For my personal example the breed that I had the longest was Langshans, never did breed a best in show winner but every year a good 25% of the hatch if not more had a great shot at winning the asiatic class at most shows and probably 10% were good enough to compete for champion large fowl at most shows back then. Brahmas I was not as successful with, but there were a few fantastic breeders out here to compete with. Never a sure thing but I don't see a dozen good birds out of 50 being odd or boastful. Especially in a small class like the Asiatic class
Exactly true. 12 is a reasonable expectation. After a line is maintained for a few years that percentage can go up a bit. If you breed best to best in the columbian pattern, soon color will slip. Over marked birds, birds with exaggerated tails, birds with excess length, etc should be kept as breeders. Its a balancing act of combining traits, or putting the pieces together in one bird.

Tim

I'd like to introduce my Brahma's to you. I think they are lovely creatures, they like to follow me everywhere around the garden and we have long conversations about... nothing really...
tongue.png

My rooster 'Herrie'

The ladies...
'Troela'

and 'Tuttebel'

lovely

I AGREE THAT YOUR BEST BREEDERS ARE NOT SHOW BIRDS. FOR EXAMPLE IN BUFF OR LIGHT BRAHMAS. TO GET YOUR SHOW BIRDS, YOUR FEMALES SHOULD CARRY SOME BLACK IN THE SADDLE FEATHERS TO KEEP GOOD COLOR IN THE SADDLES OF YOUR MALES. MALES THAT ARE NOT AS STRONG IN THE BLACK STRIP ON THE SADDLE WILL BREED THE BEST FEMALES. I KEEP TWO BREEDING PENS OF EACH COLOR. PENCILED & LACED BIRDS ALSO REQUIRE TWO BREEDING PENS FOR BEST RESULTS IN PRODUCING GOOD MALES & FEMALES. THIS IS FOR MAINTAINING & IMPROVING COLOR. THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER FACTORS TOO. TYPE,VIGOR , & BE CAREFUL ABOUT INBREEDING. A LOT OF GREAT LINES HAVE BEEN LOST DUE TO INBREEDING. BRADY J.

To clarify I wasn't asking for hand outs... I haven't found anyone remotely close to me to get advice or help from.

this is from a lady down the road who had a few hatched a few and moved out west. But I don't think $50 is good for pet quality birds.

I would love to find someone that didn't try and charge you for "show quality" when the birds are clearly pet quality. I can't afford to pay 50 bucks per grown hen. It's truly sad that someone my age that wants to help better a breed but can't because of the amount people think their birds are worth.
we all wish that quality birds would just land in our laps, but reality has to play a part here. It costs a tremendous amount to feed birds and most breeders cull very heavily to have only the very best. I will bet that if you really figured out the cost of raising the hundreds of culls necessary to achieve the quality birds that a good breeder achieves ald you realistically charged an appropriate fee for good show quality birds , the real appropriate charge would be in the hundreds if not much more. There is a reason that breeders charge realistic prices above the expenses to get to produce quality, and that is to ensure that the buyer values the birds that they purchase. People who get excellent birds handed to them sometimes take those birds for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom