Brahma with serious limp...

Queensilkie

Songster
5 Years
Jan 22, 2016
WA
I have a Brahma pullet, about 4 months old, but almost full size. Yesterday I noticed she really didn't want to put weight on her left leg. I've checked her over but can find no injury or major cause? From what I can tell, I think it may be her lower leg or foot that's hurting her, as she doesn't seem to mind her upper leg being touched or messed with.
I don't believe it's predator related, and she isn't showing symptoms of any illness.
She's still eating/drinking, no signs of lethargy, just seems to be in pain.

I doubt there's another explanation other than an injury, but I'm open to suggestions?
And if anyone has any advice for easing her discomfort, that'd be very appreciated.
Thank you for reading, have a good afternoon.

image.jpg
I just had this happen with my light brown leghorn. She jumped off the roosting bar and landed wrong, and squawked and limped for about three days. You can feed her things that may help her heal faster, such as spinach or extra eggshells. If you think it is broken and find a pressure spot, you can make a chickens boot by a piece of cardboard and tape. Take a strip of cardboard, fold it at the bottom and tape it around. Leave it on and every 3 days switch out the tape and check the limping. Chickens handle pain well, so I wouldn’t worry about that. All the best!

Brahma's are heavy, so roost height matters more. If your roosts are too high then you may need to add ramps or ladders (some of mine won't use ladders) to allow them to not have to jump. It's very likely that she just tweaked it and a couple of days of rest may be all she needs. If she's having trouble getting around then you might put her in a wire crate that is in the run so the rest of them can still see her, to minimize her movement for a day or two to let her rest it.

I have a Brahma pullet, about 4 months old, but almost full size. Yesterday I noticed she really didn't want to put weight on her left leg. I've checked her over but can find no injury or major cause? From what I can tell, I think it may be her lower leg or foot that's hurting her, as she doesn't seem to mind her upper leg being touched or messed with.
I don't believe it's predator related, and she isn't showing symptoms of any illness.
She's still eating/drinking, no signs of lethargy, just seems to be in pain.

I doubt there's another explanation other than an injury, but I'm open to suggestions?
And if anyone has any advice for easing her discomfort, that'd be very appreciated.
Thank you for reading, have a good afternoon.
Hi, I know it's been a while since you wrote this article, but I was wondering how your Brahma got on, did she recover from the limp & did you find out what caused it? Reason I'm asking is I have a Brahma who has just started with a quite bad limp.

Back
Top Bottom