Brahmas?? Anyone USING them as a dual-purpose?

Quote:
Sounds like just what to look for in a breeder. Someone who is bringing back what a Brahma should be as a DP bird and returning the breed to what it was meant for while adding her own splash of color lol. Love her buff laced babies they are to die for!!

i love the gold laced brahma's. makes me want to cross my brahmas and wyandottes to see what happens

Quote:
They won't look anything like true Gold Laced Brahmas
wink.png

If you're using hatchery/feedstore stock they'll be much, much smaller, lacking in the feirce/serious facial expression, and the F1 offspring will be more spangled or solid brown than actual laced. Also, hatchery Wyandottes are nothing like true ones and their squirrely/rabbit-like tails will pass on, making the offspring look like a Sex-Link in body type, but with slightly feathered legs.

I have a few heritage light brahmas that I am adding into my DP flock.. so they will be crossed with a delaware roo (also heritage) and my giant mutt roo "Jack"
Jack also has a few heritage orpington girls and some big ol' wyandottes that he is fond of.. so in about a week I will be setting some of those eggs for a late January hatch

Quote:
They won't look anything like true Gold Laced Brahmas
wink.png

If you're using hatchery/feedstore stock they'll be much, much smaller, lacking in the feirce/serious facial expression, and the F1 offspring will be more spangled or solid brown than actual laced. Also, hatchery Wyandottes are nothing like true ones and their squirrely/rabbit-like tails will pass on, making the offspring look like a Sex-Link in body type, but with slightly feathered legs.

honestly i'm not picky. i plan on taking my favorite birds and incubating their chicks and hatching out my own birds from now on. i think it would be awesome to have my own unique strain of birds to share w my family and pass on to my children. to change up genetics here and there i can get a few birds from the flock i already gave to my sister

We just culled a dark brahma for meanness, and though we don't have a scale she hefts about 4-5 pounds at 9 months old. The breast is not huge but the thighs and legs look pretty good!

I wouldn't say I'm using Brahmas purebred for dual purpose because I don't have a good male to do so for, but I will certainly say, they can if from the right stock make great dual purpose. I've got a pullet who easily pushes 6 pounds at just 7 months old, now she's the biggest in the flock even compared to my Goliath (imported stock) Sussex who I'd say weigh at least 8 1/2 lbs. I haven't weighed her yet though. (the Brahma, I mean. She's older than 7 mo. now and is much bigger than I last weighed her)

The thing I love is that they don't grow as slow as so many worry about, and their excess feathering does wonders in cold climates as well as their pea combs.

The thing I don't like is the difference in hatchery vs non-hatchery. I know most of you mainly have access and $ for hatchery birds, but I have a few hatchery-based Brahma hens (McMurray) and they are SHRIMPY and mostly bone. But still, they're excellent pets that I'll always love.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ours was kind of stringy even after brining for 24 hours and 5-6 hours in the crock pot. I think I'll try another breed for meat (not the cornish crosses. They freak me out).

Quote:
I agree with your observations unfortunately the hatcheries will continue their campain of Dual Purpose misinformation and get the general public thinking a scrawney mix bred hatchery bird is good for meat. Oh well ..........we can't change the world nor the hatchery buyers perception of what they read in the catalog.

Back
Top Bottom