Bramble foot or not bramble foot?

Often overweight chickens (and those who really use those feet for foraging) develop 'corns' on their feet that many people confuse for bumble foot. At first a corn starts out as a callus and eventually develops to a hard scab. Like you noticed there is no pus or odor. I like the soaking method for all types of foot problems. However, if I do have to cut because of a foreign body, the bird is removed from the flock and placed in a clean environment such as a carrier or a hospital cage. Healing can take some time, and if your chicken is indeed on the heavy side I would use a flat roost for her to perch on. A 2 x 4 works well. As an added relief for her wrap one part of the roost with vet-wrap to allow her a softer place to rest. If you do use vet-wrap (or any covering) you will have to change it every few days to keep it clean.

I hope this helps.

Thanks all.
I've been soaking the feet daily,removing the scabs every other day and applying antiseptic cream and powder at least one (mostly twice) a day with fresh dressing.
There's no puss, cheesy substance, smell, heat or red colouring to the areas. The hens aren't overweight or heavy for their breed.
The run dose have a pebbled area which I've now covered with a thick layer of straw to protect the girls feet.

Good deal, the straw will probably help. A lot of times when birds come off the roost they simply hop off on to the ground and not break their fall by flying down so they hit a little harder which can cause the foot problem.

Back
Top Bottom