Breaking Broody

Epic broody jail fail today. About halfway through the day, I noticed that the gal I had in jail pooped and it was not a broody poop. So I let her out and she joined the flock.

I have all Black Australorps so it gets kind of confusing.

Looked in the lay boxes and there was another girl. When my husband got home we tagged her so we know who she is. Let her down in the coop and she did the whole broody pose and grumble past rooster, raced out to the food, grumbled at everyone, ate super fast, got some water and wattled back to the lay box griping the entire time.

She will go into the broody cage. I will keep her there for at least 24 hours, if not 48.

:he

I leave them in the breaker crate for at least 48 hours.
IMO best to release them an hour or 2 before roost time, then if I find them in a nest at lockup they go right back into the breaker crate for another 48 hours. That way they haven't gotten so settled into the nest

I leave them in the breaker crate for at least 48 hours.
IMO best to release them an hour or 2 before roost time, then if I find them in a nest at lockup they go right back into the breaker crate for another 48 hours. That way they haven't gotten so settled into the nest.
Thanks for posting that. I was just trying to figure out what to do.
Mine has been in her crate since early yesterday morning. The night before putting her in the crate I blocked her out of the nest and she roosted for the night nearby.
She has started eating which I am very happy to see, and I have seen more normal poops overnight.

What I've done in years past with these silkie hens is take the broody ones to the dog kennel which is on the other side of the property. It's gravel with two dog houses in it.

Every morning, I take the broody one(s) to the kennel. At dusk, we open the gate and they run to the coop. (Dogs need their dog houses). The next morning, I do the same thing, sometimes there are none left in the coop, hurrah! It takes four days for everyone else... except Marsha!

Day SIX! I'm going to have to try something else with her if she doesn't snap out of it by morning!
IMG_0847.jpeg

More a matter of hormones. This will be her lifetime pattern. Have you considered rehoming her to someone who needs a broody hen?
Yes, hormones. And you are right, she is a broody momma - has been since she was less than 1 year old. I have not considered this because I will need more pullets at some point and want a reliable momma. I just don't need any right now. I currently have 14 layers which is more than enough for us and many of our family friends and neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom