Breaking Ground

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
I got my first tilling of the garden done today and layed out the planting plan for it. If weather clears up, hopefully i can get it limed, fertilized, tilled again and raked this week. Potatoes, peas, lettuce, and spinach go in the ground in 2 wks! Stoked!
Anyone else diggingin yet?
Attached is my planting plan. Anyone grow anything unique/ different than the basics? Im always looking to try something new.
This year i have kiwi, elderberries and gooseberries ordered to be planted in the yard.

Attachments

• 15831115273052138726852366373282.jpg
    15831115273052138726852366373282.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 20
I’m working on my green thumb this year by just growing some trees from seed. I’m leaving the planting to my husband. I do like tilling the ground with the tractor but that’s the extent of me helping apart from nurturing these seedlings.

I love how you have it all planned out! Are you using raised beds?

No. Its in ground. I rotate crop locations each season to reduce fungal issues and to take advantage of natural benefits (beans fix nitrogen in the soil and corn loves nitrogen. So the corn follows the peas and beans (generally) around the garden.
Our soil is terrible heavy mountain clay. I add as much organic matter as i can each year and till it in to loosen it.
Knock on wood, we always have great production and its something i look forward to each year.

I’m working on my green thumb this year by just growing some trees from seed. I’m leaving the planting to my husband. I do like tilling the ground with the tractor but that’s the extent of me helping apart from nurturing these seedlings.

I love how you have it all planned out! Are you using raised beds?
I started 75 chestnuts i gathered last year, and about 30 red, scarlet, and white oaks. Hopefully they germinate!

I started 75 chestnuts i gathered last year, and about 30 red, scarlet, and white oaks. Hopefully they germinate!

Mine are fruit trees (apples & pears) but I know they won’t grow true to fruit/seed but I mostly want them for the trees and not the fruit. Later on when I have a good idea of our permanent location then I’ll bother with apple trees that are true to fruit. Right now we are up in the air of moving to another place within the next decade.

I did not know that about beans and corn. I’ll have to remember that for our next planting season. We actually haven’t even started on anything except tilling. We have toddlers and chickens and calves, so our time gets used up and then we forget that we need to plant already!

Mine are fruit trees (apples & pears) but I know they won’t grow true to fruit/seed but I mostly want them for the trees and not the fruit. Later on when I have a good idea of our permanent location then I’ll bother with apple trees that are true to fruit. Right now we are up in the air of moving to another place within the next decade.

I did not know that about beans and corn. I’ll have to remember that for our next planting season. We actually haven’t even started on anything except tilling. We have toddlers and chickens and calves, so our time gets used up and then we forget that we need to plant already!
I know what you mean. I have an 8yr old playing 4 sports and into cubscouts and an almost 3yr old into...well...EVERYTHING! I'm always late getting my veggie seeds started but somehow or another it gets done.
Most garden plants have at least one partner that grows well with it or helps keep pests at bay.

I know what you mean. I have an 8yr old playing 4 sports and into cubscouts and an almost 3yr old into...well...EVERYTHING! I'm always late getting my veggie seeds started but somehow or another it gets done.
Most garden plants have at least one partner that grows well with it or helps keep pests at bay.

I will have to start looking into that. I had heard about that, but never found the motivation to look into it. But now I have the knowledge of tomato 🍅 + basil 🌿 since you are the second person I’ve read that said it in the last month.

I will have to start looking into that. I had heard about that, but never found the motivation to look into it. But now I have the knowledge of tomato 🍅 + basil 🌿 since you are the second person I’ve read that said it in the last month.
Asparagus, tomatoes, basil, and parsley are good bed fellows. I also mix marigolds everywhere in the garden.

Not sure how true it is but I was told the Rabbits don't like marigolds. Something about the way they smell?? The old farmers almanac facebook page has a few good charts showing great ideas for companion plantings.

Back
Top Bottom