Breast Area Protruding and Firm

Captain13

Songster
Sep 6, 2022
Kathleen, Ga
I thought one of my girls had an impacted crop because her right side was protruding and very firm. I segregated her, no food for two days, water only with stool softener yesterday. Yesterday I felt and the crop is empty. She’s not lethargic, poop normal but the swelling is still there and she hasn’t laid in two days. Of course I’m worried. My vet doesn’t care for chickens so I’m at a loss. Ideas as to the problem? I’m away from home and can’t get a pic right now but will post one shortly.

Really need a picture to see what's going on. Separate the feathers down to the skin for the picture.

Some questions:
What do you feed, including any treats?
Is the skin in the area warm feeling? Does it have any discoloration?
Can you get a picture of her poop too, please, even if you think it's normal, it may show something.

Sally PB, I’m on travel so my wife sent these two pics. She will get more in the morning. I feed layer pellets. No treats other than something such as watermelon, fresh figs (1 for each chicken and occasional cabbage or other leafy vegetable. No more than twice a wee on the treats above. No scratch, no grass clippings or anything else.
The skin is not warm to the touch. No discoloration. Poop has been solid but will see if I can get picks before I get home. I’m in the coop before sunrise so that I see what chicken dropped what poop from the night before they get off the roost bars.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 71401074281__D71D052C-BBF0-4857-BAE7-88D8A0C72C44.jpeg
    71401074281__D71D052C-BBF0-4857-BAE7-88D8A0C72C44.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 71401081680__139971EB-CF8B-43BF-9CCF-ACE67C20EF7B.jpeg
    71401081680__139971EB-CF8B-43BF-9CCF-ACE67C20EF7B.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 7
Breast blisters can occur over the keel or breastbone (sternum.) Those can form abscesses. But that looks possibly like a tumor. I would be tempted to lance it and try to sqeeze out any pus. If there is no pus, and it just bleeds, it is probably a tumor. It would be good to see under those feathers.

I thought one of my girls had an impacted crop because her right side was protruding and very firm. I segregated her, no food for two days, water only with stool softener yesterday. Yesterday I felt and the crop is empty. She’s not lethargic, poop normal but the swelling is still there and she hasn’t laid in two days. Of course I’m worried. My vet doesn’t care for chickens so I’m at a loss. Ideas as to the problem? I’m away from home and can’t get a pic right now but will post one shortly.
Can you get more photos of her and what her skin looks like under the protrusion?

To me, it looks like she has a pendulous crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I believes it’s too firm to be a penulous crop. I can feel the crop and it was empty before I left. My wife will try to get some pics for me today as I’m still away from home. She is also going to try a small insulin syringe to see if there is anything in it. She said she’s up and about in the run acting like nothing is wrong with her. Just worried here that I can’t do anything.

To wind this up, it was an impacted crop. I was not massaging it hard enough to break it up. A local chicken owner told me when I thinkÍ'm doing it hard enough, multiply that by 5. I didn’t go that hard but the had mass, which was the size of my fist, went from hard to firm and more pliable. I kept giving her small amounts of water and massaging. Finally, I turned her head straight down, firmly massaged the lump and she started puking (sorry). There was a lot of dirt in there so apparently she was trying to self medicate with grit. After about an hour, she has pushed up more and the mass was down to almost normal. I will do it again tomorrow until it’s clear fluid coming up. Ughhhhh. What a day. At least now, I know what to look for and how to effectively clear it if it ever happens again. Thanks for the input I received from you all. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Looks like she’s going to be fine. One more clearing session this morning. She had a little left but now the area is flat and soft. Will give her some food later this afternoon.

Be careful making them vomit. It can cause them to aspirate crop contents and choke to death. It is good that you have her cleaned out though. Impacted crop can lead to pendulous crop then sour crop, so it may not be over. Usually chickens who get sick with crop issues may have another underlying problem, such as worms, a reproductive disorder, cancer or ascites (water belly.) Here is a good article by a veteran chicken person on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom