Breast Area Protruding and Firm

Be careful making them vomit. It can cause them to aspirate crop contents and choke to death. It is good that you have her cleaned out though. Impacted crop can lead to pendulous crop then sour crop, so it may not be over. Usually chickens who get sick with crop issues may have another underlying problem, such as worms, a reproductive disorder, cancer or ascites (water belly.) Here is a good article by a veteran chicken person on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Great points. i started feeding her small amounts this afternoon and it went well. A vet technician friend came by and said she was looking good and she was. Up and about. No signs of any other problems. The tech suggested that the amount of dirt in the crop might mean she is looking for grit and/or calcium. Actually, that was the first question she asked. I put the chicken in the coop and placed some grit and oyster shells near the food. She actually went to the grit first and took some, followed by some oyster shells and then the food. As suggested by the link in your response, she will be getting a morning crop massage. I don‘t ever want to go through this again.

Back
Top Bottom