Breast Blister or Water Belly?

mrsblas

Hatching
Mar 18, 2024
Anyone having experienced either of these conditions, your input and suggestions are appreciated. This us my 1 yr. old Ameraucana. We thought she was pulling her own feathers or possibly being picked on, and we've been treating & monitoring her for 3-4 weeks. She's been eating and drinking. About a week ago, she stopped laying. (She's our only blue egg layer) Today I went out to put antiseptic & no pick spray on her bare spots, and I found her like this. Poor baby! I've been reading everything I can find about draining the fluid, but I'm hesitant to poke her without being sure. Her diet consists of Nutrena layer pellet feed, scratch grains & oyster shell grit. Fresh water daily.

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_164950.jpg
    IMG_20240318_164950.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240318_164947.jpg
    IMG_20240318_164947.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 4
I've been reading everything I can find about draining the fluid,
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry she is unwell.

Looks more like a pendulous crop.. link for review.. but also it's just one quick possibility..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Water belly is *usually* more towards the back end between the leg on the abdomen.

She's an Easter Egger.. cream legbar based rather than Ameraucana or the commonly purposely misspelled (by hatcheries) amerIcana.. though clearly not important to this situation, sorry for mentioning it.

ETA: how much scratch grains are you giving? Do you have pics of her bare spots?

Back
Top Bottom