breathing problems

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
In Dec I took in 3 rescue hens from bad living conditions. One suffered from severe lung issues and did not recover. I kept the remaining 2 in quarantine for 90 days and they recovered nicely .I introduced them to my flock in early April. Now several (most)of my flock have a gurgle when they breath. I'm not sure were to start with treatment.
I prefer not to use antibiotics but I did treat the rescues with oxytetracycline because they were in such bad shape. It did help the hen that didn't make it but she only improved for a short while then relapsed, the other 2 never (and still don't) show any breathing symptoms.
Any ideas to help my flock would be great.
Thanks

IMO there are lots of avenues of approach but sacrificing the worst one to a necropsy at a state lab is the best course of action. Then you'll know exactly which one or more of the hundreds of things you're dealing with. Respiratory issues can be bacterial, fungal, viral, environmental or nutritional.

In the meantime, provide as much ventilation/fresh air as possible.

Last edited:
Thanks,
The charts were helpful. It didn't help with diagnosing as they only show 1 symptom, I will call the local bird vet to see about a necropsy.

If you are seeing gurgling, that is called rales, and it would rule out aspergillosis, and most of the diseases in that link except for MG, ILT, IB, and coryza. With coryza, you would be seeing thick snots, swollen eyes with pus, and coughing/sneezing. With ILT, they will hold their necks up to breathe, gasping, and may have blood in nasal and oral mucus. With IB, you would mostly hear a lot of sneezing with a little nasal drainage. With MG, there can be selling around an eye or nasal discharge, and bubbles or foam in the eye, gurgles, but maybe not if it were a mild strain. So I would probably treat them with Tylan 50 injection 1 ml given as a shot into the breast muscle once daily for 3 days, or use one of the oral medicines for the water such as Gallimycin (erythromycin) or one of the tetracyclines. The tetracyclines are absorbed better (for vitamin C) and taste more appealing if a small amount of cranberry juice is substituted for the water. I haven't had to deal with respiratory disease, but I am sorry that you are dealing with this sorry that you are dealing with this.

Thank you for the dosage. I'll give it a try. The only symptom is the rales. I checked and no mucus, sneezing, and they don't even seem bothered by it yet. Hopefully I caught it early plus they are otherwise in good shape.The original hen was severely malnourished and pretty far gone when I got her and started treatment. I doubt anything could have saved her.

have been dealing with respiratory problems for some years with my two roosters. they are apparently carriers. They get better but once in awhile to get a cold. my biggest problem is an ear infection that one of them have that I think is related to the respiratory problems. I give them raw apple cider vinegar in their water and it seems to work great on the symptoms of runny nose, etc. but not the ears. I have read something about using oregano oil extract but I don't know the dosage. has anyone used it? I tried ckeaning the ears with hydrogen peroxide but its still not better

have been dealing with respiratory problems for some years with my two roosters. they are apparently carriers. They get better but once in awhile to get a cold. my biggest problem is an ear infection that one of them have that I think is related to the respiratory problems. I give them raw apple cider vinegar in their water and it seems to work great on the symptoms of runny nose, etc. but not the ears. I have read something about using oregano oil extract but I don't know the dosage. has anyone used it? I tried ckeaning the ears with hydrogen peroxide but its still not better
Read all of post #4 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/767500/ear-infection

thank you for the link. ears are many dark and crusty and a little that's what makes me think it's bacterial?
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom