breathing sounds gurgly (respiratory?)

Chicken Nugget

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
North Carolina
We noticed today that my roughly five-month old cockerel isn't breathing well.

It gets extremely hot and humid where we live, so all the chickens pant all the time. So it might have taken us longer to notice than usual.

His panting didn't alarm us. What did alarm us is a gurgle sound when he breaths, like there is fluid in his lungs or something.

Any ideas what this is (possible respiratory infection??) and what to do to treat it?

Hi Nugget~
I ran into this problem not too long ago.
Try the "SEARCH" feature just above the forum menu and type in "respiratory problems" or "rattling" or something along those lines.
You'll have so much to read and I know something will apply specifically to what your chicken is experiencing.
For sure, the first thing to do while you start your research is to isolate the sick chicken and make sure he has food, vitamins, water and a clean, warm, quiet environment.
Good luck!
Cathi

Yep, make sure you isolate him now! I had a roo that had pneumonia and fortunatly got him isolated before all the others got sick. He is well now, but was VERY sick for several days. I am with Cathi, go to the search function and see what is there. There are SO many things it could be. Good Luck and sending get well wishes to the roo!

I went to Tractor Supply and bought Terramycin soluble powder and also Advance Pro-Lyte Plus nutritional/energy supplement.

I am trying to find something to isolate my cockerel in and will begin the antibiotics this evening.

I'll give the vitamin/electrolytes to the others, too, to boost their system so maybe they won't catch whatever it is.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom