Rooster breathing heavily

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
As I locked up the flock tonight I noticed the rooster breathing heavily. Breathing with his nose and not sounding wheezy or anything, more like a whistling sound. I went back with a flashlight to check and then he was less loud, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything unusual then, but I had a look at him and noticed he seemed a little wet by his nostril, all clear, not thick, could just as well have been water. I've never dealt with any respiratory issues so I'm not sure if I should be worried. There are no OTC meds sold where I live and no vets that have a clue about birds, although I'm sure they'd help me out with meds if I knew what it was. If he's even sick. Should I separate him? He wouldn't be happy about that. He seems otherwise fine, haven't noticed anything unusual. Only thing is that we had an unexpected visit by a hawk a few days ago. All were able to get away, but if chickens are anything like humans, I know stress can impact the immune system.

Last edited:
Where are you, generally, in the world?
Sometimes they can have a bit of food or debris that partially blocks the airway and it can cause what is called stridor, which is a wheezy or honking sound. If it's that then it usually resolves on it's own. Sometimes it doesn't last long, sometimes it may last several hours. If it persists then you will need to look in his beak and throat, make sure nothing obvious is there. It's also possible that he's got a respiratory disease, there are several. Watch for continued issues breathing, facial swelling, bubbles in eyes, discharge from eye's, nares, or beak.

Where are you, generally, in the world?
Sometimes they can have a bit of food or debris that partially blocks the airway and it can cause what is called stridor, which is a wheezy or honking sound. If it's that then it usually resolves on it's own. Sometimes it doesn't last long, sometimes it may last several hours. If it persists then you will need to look in his beak and throat, make sure nothing obvious is there. It's also possible that he's got a respiratory disease, there are several. Watch for continued issues breathing, facial swelling, bubbles in eyes, discharge from eye's, nares, or beak.
I'm in Norway and it's winter so cold weather, but it's his third winter so he can handle the weather. I noticed later that another bird also had a "runny nose" but all appear otherwise fine. I've meanwhile put garlic and vitamins in their water. I also thought about that after the hawk attack I locked them up for two whole days and after letting them go into the run again they seem less inclined to do so. So they've been cooped up inside for longer than normal. Not sure if it can possibly be the bedding or dust that has bothered them. I use pine shavings and normally in winter I use the deep litter method but had just changed much of the bedding because water got spilled during the hawk attack.

Respiratory virus's are not uncommon, and some can be brought in by wild birds. If you continue to see issues, and more birds are having symptoms, I would guess it may be that.
If there are resources there for testing, you could have labs done on one with the runny nose, to ID if it's viral. If anything in the environment has changed, more dust, different materials, etc. that might be irritating their respiratory systems. Another possibility is ammonia fumes from a closed up coop if the ventilation isn't adequate.

As I locked up the flock tonight I noticed the rooster breathing heavily. Breathing with his nose and not sounding wheezy or anything, more like a whistling sound. I went back with a flashlight to check and then he was less loud, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything unusual then, but I had a look at him and noticed he seemed a little wet by his nostril, all clear, not thick, could just as well have been water. I've never dealt with any respiratory issues so I'm not sure if I should be worried. There are no OTC meds sold where I live and no vets that have a clue about birds, although I'm sure they'd help me out with meds if I knew what it was. If he's even sick. Should I separate him? He wouldn't be happy about that. He seems otherwise fine, haven't noticed anything unusual. Only thing is that we had an unexpected visit by a hawk a few days ago. All were able to get away, but if chickens are anything like humans, I know stress can impact the immune system.
When our rooster started having breathing changes we used VetRX on a Q tip and rubbed it on the top if his throat, back to front... Then around his nostrils and all over his beak and face area... Then next a few drops up under the wings on his skin like on the underarms... We did that every night 1 time a day only... Soon enough about 7 to 10 days later he sounded great again... Oh, I also put some in his water and warm water at that... So the whole flock was drinking it...

VetRX is basically vicks vaporub, it won't treat anything. It may help with symptoms, but it won't cure anything. If there is an underlying virus or bacteria, that has to be dealt with.

VetRX is basically vicks vaporub, it won't treat anything. It may help with symptoms, but it won't cure anything. If there is an underlying virus or bacteria, that has to be dealt with.
I havent seen origanol in vicks in my entire life however I have cured myself personally with Origanol oil.. yet your correct about some ingredients... However at the same time, you convince my wife that it did not work while her favorite rooster definately is back to normal and he was hacking and chocking basically until she learned from someone else who used it.. Just saying she had results....

Back
Top Bottom