Rooster has runny nose and slight heavy breathing.

I've given him garlic before and he's eaten it whole many times which is why I tried it again today, but still I will keep an eye out.
Actually, we live in india and generally the temperture here is high. He is not used to such cold winters. But he responds well to heaters as I've been using them for him since he was a chick during winters. However, I switch them on only for a little while and then switch off so that it doesnt get too stuffy, but I will switch it off now.
I dont have any other birds though pigeons come to play and eat in our balcony. He is acting normal and I pick all of his poop and keep an eye on it as well. He hung out in the sun today per usual.
I'm glad to hear that though I wouldn't continue to do it, it causes anemia and gastrointestinal chemical burns.
He's acting normal other than the runny beak?
It could be an allergen if he is.
I would hold off on giving him antibiotics, natural or otherwise unless it's obvious he has an infection.

I'm glad to hear that though I wouldn't continue to do it, it causes anemia and gastrointestinal chemical burns.
He's acting normal other than the runny beak?
It could be an allergen if he is.
I would hold off on giving him antibiotics, natural or otherwise unless it's obvious he has an infection.
Yeah I wont for sure. I only gave him the garlic piece because I thought he might have a cold and read it helps with respiratory issues as well.
His nose isnt runny all the time. For now, it has stopped, but it may start again. But his breathing does make sounds sometimes.
Edit: I wont be rushing into giving him any antibiotics at least for another day. Will just observe and see if I can get some vet to help out as well though it is highly doublful as my area has no good bird vets. But I do want to keep a pack of appropriate antibiotics/meds in hand just in case so I will get tetracycline as suggested above in the thread.

Last edited:
Hi! I thought of a couple more things for your little rooster.
This is an infrared heating plate. I'll place it flat on the floor on the low setting and my chicks and baby goats like to sleep on it. https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products-Chicken-Heater-Brooder/dp/B01LX9K1JI

Also this is a good vegan substitute for the egg yolk: https://www.amazon.com/BOVIDR-LABORATO-617407594416-Nutri-Drench-Solution/dp/B00GSOD8KG/
Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this! For now, I've started him on a course of multivitamin drops. I'm thinking 3-4 days (today is his 3rd day). My mom also got tetracycline, but we havent started the antibiotics yet as he seems to be fine.. just a little bit of runny nose that too very rarely. I'm keeping a very close eye on him. Will also be getting the oregano oil soon! Please let me know if there's anything else I should keep an eye out for. I'm checking his crop regularly and his poop is fine and he's doing cecal poop as well.

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this! For now, I've started him on a course of multivitamin drops. I'm thinking 3-4 days (today is his 3rd day). My mom also got tetracycline, but we havent started the antibiotics yet as he seems to be fine.. just a little bit of runny nose that too very rarely. I'm keeping a very close eye on him. Will also be getting the oregano oil soon! Please let me know if there's anything else I should keep an eye out for. I'm checking his crop regularly and his poop is fine and he's doing cecal poop as well.
I'm glad to hear he is doing better!
The tetracycline is going to be effective against mycoplasma, which is usually accompanied by eye discharge or little temporary eye growths. It's good to have some on hand, but it sounds like he has a common cold not mycoplasma (to me at least). The lincomycin-spectinomycin would probably work better, if needed.

Nasal drainage could be from irritation from things such as ammonia odors of droppings, mold, environmental allergens, dust, or perfume. Millet is not a complete feed. It is okay to use it up to half of a chicken’s feed, but it may be good to also include other things to increase the protein and give it balance. It sounds like you do that, but you can add other ground up grains as well.

I'm glad to hear he is doing better!
The tetracycline is going to be effective against mycoplasma, which is usually accompanied by eye discharge or little temporary eye growths. It's good to have some on hand, but it sounds like he has a common cold not mycoplasma (to me at least). The lincomycin-spectinomycin would probably work better, if needed.
He doesn't have eye discharge, but very very light dirt around one eye which I clean from time to time. But that eye of his is slightly covered by his comb so he's not able to clean it very effectively. Same with the nostril below it which I clean out regularly too. Otherwise, he seems okay.

Nasal drainage could be from irritation from things such as ammonia odors of droppings, mold, environmental allergens, dust, or perfume. Millet is not a complete feed. It is okay to use it up to half of a chicken’s feed, but it may be good to also include other things to increase the protein and give it balance. It sounds like you do that, but you can add other ground up grains as well.
I'm crazy about hygiene and make sure to clean his room daily. His small bed and all are also cleaned regularly, but I'll still keep an eye out! I myself am very allergic to dust and perfumes so I do keep my surroundings quite clean and without the use of scented stuff.
Please do give me grain suggestions! I've actually raised my roosters on the main diet of bajra (pearl millet) and other food scraps, fruits, green leafy vegetables, wheat flatbread made from pure wheat and water only, nuts like peanuts cashews almonds which are high in protein, corns etc. Recently, I've also introduced another form of millet Ragi. I also make sure that he plays in the sunlight in our balcony for at least 3-4 hours daily. I dont use any outside feed as they add too many supplements to boost egg laying and they're not made for roosters. Plus Brownie is up in age so I've actually reduced his normal multivitamin drops too (but Im not stopping them of course) and try to find more nutritious whole foods for him.

Chickens do well on a diet of multiple things including insects, grasses and legumes. Fish meal, barley, wheat, corn, and oats in certain percentages are good. But the commercial chicken feeds are usually the least expensive and best balanced diet. Do they sell feed for meat birds or an all flock feed with a 1% calcium there? I usually had my roosters eating layer feed about half the time, and they all did pretty well even with the 4% calcium. Most people aim for about 16% protein up to 20%. I think millet is more close to 11-12% protein. So it is good that you are offering other things in his diet besides just millet.

Back
Top Bottom