Breed and Gender please? (Ameraucana or Easter Egger)

That's completely disregarding the fact by this age, boys would have very clearly roo coloring and feathering. That bird has female coloring all over. Comb size is the last thing to dwell on at this age. The tail feathers do have curve to them.... but hens can have that too. Also need to remind EE are birds from an intentionally very mixed breeding so there is going to be a lot of variety.

I will post pictures of birds that are the male version of the hen's coloring:

In fact, this boy is around the same age as these two pullets:

Note- almost all black breast, tail is solid black, super shiny and has true curved sickles. red on wing, red triangle on wing, red on hackles, face is bare and much redder.

Mature coloring:

Because some people know what they are talking about and others are guessing.

If they can't articulate why they think it is one or the other then they may be just guessing......
X2. And they are both pullets because that is a female coloring. Also there build looks more like a hen and they do not have a really large or really red comb. And one way you can tell if you have an EE roo is a lot of the get patchy red in their back and shoulder area and neither of these have the patchy red.

Last edited:
That's completely disregarding the fact by this age, boys would have very clearly roo coloring and feathering. That bird has female coloring all over. Comb size is the last thing to dwell on at this age. The tail feathers do have curve to them.... but hens can have that too. Also need to remind EE are birds from an intentionally very mixed breeding so there is going to be a lot of variety.

I will post pictures of birds that are the male version of the hen's coloring:

In fact, this boy is around the same age as these two pullets:

Note- almost all black breast, tail is solid black, super shiny and has true curved sickles. red on wing, red triangle on wing, red on hackles, face is bare and much redder.

Mature coloring:

Very well stated and very pretty cockerel.:)

In your first photos the top one looks roo to me, but in your second photos, that looks like a pullet. I see rounded saddle feathers in that shot, but they look pointed in the first photo

to clarify, these chickens are 3 months old. Thanks for everyone's input. I see there is still disagreement. I guess I'll have to update the thread when I really find out :)

Did you guys all read what Kev said???

he.gif

Back
Top Bottom