Breed and Gender Unknown

MarshyRooster

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
I have three baby chicks right now. We already checked their genders (one seemed like a male and later seemed to lean to the hen side) but we just checked the wings. There's a lot of pressure on gender for me, because we have to give a male chick away, since our two roosters are already a handful. If anyone has ideas about a more thorough way to check their breeds, please tell me. We only have one for-sure girl, and the other two act like full-grown roosters but they might just be a bit more stubborn and feisty than I wish they were :).

The chicks are a mystery, Black Maran and Golden Sexlink. I don't know how to describe the mystery (Dawnwing) and I can't post pictures because this computer is very, very, very, very, very old (ancient) but I can describe her as a little stubby, round, fluffed-out neck feathers, golden and white and thick wings that meet at the tips. Her mama is in the coop (though I don't know who it is), but I'd love to know. If you have any breed-discovery ideas, please tell me :).

Wing and tail feathers aren't remotely accurate (unless you have Chicken Magic) for telling gender on 90% of chicks, and the 10% that are bred for that characteristic , it has to be checked within the first day or so of hatching.
Wait until about 6 weeks for the comb to do something.

Back
Top Bottom