Breed and gender?

Yep, I have about 60 Satinettes/Classic Frills (Old Fashioned), which is what @roonster 's look like to me. Very similar to some Oriental Frills and Owls, but Classic Frills have a bit longer beak (they are able to feed their young, where Orientals cannot)

This site gives a little detail on the multiple color variations - https://www.backtobirds.com/satinette-pigeon/

As far as gender determination, I'm horrible at it! lol! But I have kind learned I can usually guess a female by appearance - more petite in body size, neck seems a bit thinner and the girls seem to hold their head higher. They also just seem to have a more dainty look. Of course, none of that is scientific, but when you have as many as I have, its a little easier to compare them, and guess against each other. I have honestly never noticed the feeding thing that @MeanCheek mentioned! I'm going to check out that little tidbit of info! :)

The sure-fire way for me is when they pair up and make a nest. The female lays on the eggs overnight, and most of the day, but the dad takes a couple hour shift in the afternoon. That's when I usually make my pair/gender notes.

You can also try feeling between the pelvis bones, at the very base. Females have a wider gap so an egg can pass through, the males gap is much smaller. I'd say a female's gap is about the width of my finger, so if I can put the tip of my finger between the two bone points, its usually a female.

They are beautiful and fun birds to watch! Congrats on your beautiful purchase!

Oh, as far as the band, what are the markings? There are multiple pigeon clubs, some have ways of identifying the original owner (like if one were lost). But the band should at least include the year they were hatched and banded.
Thanks! What they are all female or have already paired and were separated.
One is missing a lot of feathers on the back of the head, like a hen (chickens). This might be an indication she is female but that her mate is missing, meaning she was separated?
I will move them to a better location with more sunlight tomorrow. Maybe their behavior will change?

Update: I got one egg, so I know I have at least one female. I've seen three of them coming but it's not often or loud. My guess, 3 males and one female, although none are doing any mating dance or nesting activities.. (the egg was just sitting at bottom of their cage).

Back
Top Bottom