Breed and gender?

r_Lewis111

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2024
Hi all,

My 3 year old's pre-school had a chicken hatching program and my little guy was absolutely taken by them. We adopted a couple and they're a great addition to the family. Currently about 9 weeks old.

Understand that there is a lot of this, but wondering whether anyone could let me know what breed and gender they are? The hatchery program said the chicks could be one of several breeds, from Googling I think these are Black Austrolorps??? Also, one looks slightly different to the other, do you think rooster, we're semi-rural but also have neighbours who might not be too happy with a wake up call! I've had a look at a few similar threads on here and hard to tell!

Hoping these photos are adequate, they are tricky to get good photos of! :D

Thanks in advance for any hints! :)

Cheers

Ryan

Attachments

• MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (4).jpg
    845.8 KB · Views: 77
  • MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg
    941.9 KB · Views: 39
Definitely not Black Australorps at all. They look like they are a mixed breed with Marans in their genetics. The one with thicker legs might turn out to be a cockerel.
Ok, thanks for your reply! Good to know.

They come from a hatching program called Henny Penny, https://www.hennypennyhatching.com.au/ so no idea what they might be. They seem to be good natured though and my 3 year old loves them. :)

Also, since you're a new chicken owner, here is a list of terms:

Rooster/Cock: Adult male chicken that is one year of age or older.
Hen: Adult female chicken that is one year of age or older.
Cockerel: Immature male chicken that is less than one year of age.
Pullet: Immature female chicken that is less than one year of age.
Capon: A male chicken, either a cockerel or a rooster, who has been neutered.
Sire: A male chicken, either a cockerel or a rooster, who is currently fathering chicks.
Dam: A female chicken, either a pullet or a hen, who is currently mothering chicks.
Stag: Immature male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed (which are breeds that were created for cockfighting); the equivalent of cockerel.
Bullstag: Adult male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed; the equivalent of rooster and cock.

Also, since you're a new chicken owner, here is a list of terms:

Rooster/Cock: Adult male chicken that is one year of age or older.
Hen: Adult female chicken that is one year of age or older.
Cockerel: Immature male chicken that is less than one year of age.
Pullet: Immature female chicken that is less than one year of age.
Capon: A male chicken, either a cockerel or a rooster, who has been neutered.
Sire: A male chicken, either a cockerel or a rooster, who is currently fathering chicks.
Dam: A female chicken, either a pullet or a hen, who is currently mothering chicks.
Stag: Immature male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed (which are breeds that were created for cockfighting); the equivalent of cockerel.
Bullstag: Adult male chicken that is of a gamefowl breed; the equivalent of rooster and cock.
Great, yes wasn't sure of the terminology. Thanks for sharing!

I agree that they are mixed breeds. The one that has the golden coloring on its neck may be a cockerel. It has decently red wattles and a larger comb. Starting at 12 weeks old, cockerels get in specific male feathering making it easy to tell male vs female. I would suggest posting update photos of your birds at 12 weeks old if you are still unsure about what their sex is.

I agree that they are mixed breeds. The one that has the golden coloring on its neck may be a cockerel. It has decently red wattles and a larger comb. Starting at 12 weeks old, cockerels get in specific male feathering making it easy to tell male vs female. I would suggest posting update photos of your birds at 12 weeks old if you are still unsure about what their sex is.
Ok, thanks for sharing. Will post again in a few weeks and keep an eye on them. Good to know they're a mixed breed, interesting!

Great, yes wasn't sure of the terminology. Thanks for sharing!
You're welcome!

Chickens can be sexed at an average of six weeks old, not twelve weeks, as that is when they feather out in a normal-feathering breeds. Sometimes, chickens can be sexed at a very early two weeks old.

They're both pullets. Could be hatchery Marans but I think you could well have an Australorp and a black sex link.
Fingers crossed you're right, we have a good home available if one is a cockerel, but we're quite attached to them. Also, would want to make sure we had a replacement settled in if we had to rehome.

Thanks a lot to all for taking the time to respond! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom